Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Just rebuilt fuel pump. Extra washer?

Post by James k »

Hi,

On Thursday, I found that my fuel pump was leaking petrol from around the diaphragm. I ordered a rebuild kit and finished reassembling it earlier today. My only concern is that I have an additional fibre washer left over.

I cannot find any that are missing from the diagram. I installed a thin one under the non return valve, a medium one under the outlet pipe, a medium on under the filter cap and a thick one under the inlet.

However, the kit came with three medium, one thin and one thick so I have one medium one left over.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
James
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Just rebuilt fuel pump. Extra washer?

Post by svenedin »

Assuming it is the standard SU low pressure (LP) AUA 66 fuel pump I think there are only 4 washers. I have rebuilt quite a few but I can’t really remember the specifics of the washers. It’s very logical where they fit. See: https://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spar ... -8982.html

There's only 4 washers shown here: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/fuel- ... 6-p1238537

I wrote this post some years ago but I didn't mention the washers.....

viewtopic.php?t=57395

Edit: is the spare washer in your set for the union of fuel pipe from tank to pump inlet?
Last edited by svenedin on Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

James
I'm with Stephen , you have identified the washers necessary and have the double check of the Burlen Fuel diagram that Stephen posted.

I have done a number of SU Fuel pumps and carburettors and I've found " the extra washer / washers " in some packs. Some deliberate where a multi purpose kit is sold for different applications.( I was told it was more cost effective to make the kits to fit more than one application, as the cost of small washers was minimal). It's not unheard of for washers to stick together in the storage bins.

I've only once had to have a bespoke kit made up.It was for a very early 1937 Morris , wooden floor boards , et al. the guy at Burlen's said "I bet you have been able to find a spares diagram for that have you ? Don't bother looking , it doesn't exist. It's a bit of a hybrid / cross over for a very short manufacturing period.I'll put together a special kit and make sure you soak the cork gaskets for 24 hours ."

I'd just pop the " spare " in your spares box.Well done on the refurb.
Bob
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Thanks for the replies, that's reassuring. I'm hoping the leak is now fixed. There was a bit of a weep from the outlet when I refitted it but I tightened it up and it seems okay now. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks,
James