Too much pressure from new fuel pump.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bubbles
MMOC Member: No

Too much pressure from new fuel pump.

Post by bubbles »

Sure I've seen this question b4, fitted new fuel pump, but now leaking fuel past bowl at carb, it's not float problem, but too much pressure from fuel pump, is there a fairly easy way to fix this without buying expensive inline pressure regulator. Thanks
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Too much pressure from new fuel pump.

Post by Steve Phillips »

If the pump is new and the correct SU pump for a Morris and you are sure it's producing to much pressure I would be talking to your supplier or burlin fuel, rather than trying to get round the issue. as it's possibly a fault with the pump and fuel leaks and cars are really not a safe mix.

Steve
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

Check that you have the correct pump. There are two types. A high pressure pump that pushes the fuel from the tank, as in a Mini. And a low pressure that pulls the fuel from the tank, as used in the Minor.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

If its a standard system I would suspect your regulation valve in the float chamber needs replacing. Occasionally the float can be an issue but valve wears which is often not visible.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

You should have an SU LP (low pressure pump) AUA66. There may be dirt trapped in the float valve from when you changed the pump or the valve is worn out and is only showing now with a new pump. Take the float chamber lid off and then remove the float (pull out the hinge pin with pliers from the serrated end of the pin). Now the float needle will come out. Wash out with carburettor cleaner or clean petrol. If ok, reassemble, if valve worn replace it. The Viton tipped needle seals better than the all steel needle. To remove the valve body you’ll need a BA socket, I forget the exact size. If ordering a new valve get a new float bowl gasket at the same time. If you want you can get a complete new float bowl lid with Viton needle and Stay-up float all preassembled from ESM.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Unless you have checked the fuel line pressure with a pressure gauge how do you know if the fuel line pressure is too low, correct or too high?
The fuel line pressure between fuel pump and carb should be no more than 1.5lb/in2.
I would suggest that the valve in the float chamber lid is faulty. Replace the complete valve and I am certain that the flooding problem will go away.
Viton tipped valves are best.
The spanner required to remove the float chamber is a thin walled box spanner and is available from Burlen Fuels.
https://sucarb.co.uk/tools-flow-meters/ ... anner.html
A deep socket may be used but the wall thickness of the socket will have to be reduced to allow the socket to fit between the valve body and the sides of the float chamber lid recess/luggs.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Yes indeed Phill. An ordinary BA socket can get stuck in the float lid recess especially when tightening the valve body.

The tool is this one: https://burlen.co.uk/carburettor-needle ... anner.html
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

bubbles wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:55 am Sure I've seen this question b4, fitted new fuel pump, but now leaking fuel past bowl at carb, it's not float problem, but too much pressure from fuel pump, is there a fairly easy way to fix this without buying expensive inline pressure regulator. Thanks
I had this problem last year after fitting a refurb SU pump. When I changed the regulation valve and gasket in the float chamber lid the problem was immediately resolved.

As others have suggested, it’s surely the no.1 suspect.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com