Car not charging, dynamo or control box?

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Car not charging, dynamo or control box?

Post by myoldjalopy »

I agree. That there was a 'soft clunk' when you tried to run it as a motor in the car suggests that power was getting through, but that it would not drive the dynamo. It should spin briskly. I have an old record deck that responds in exactly the same way - when activated the motor twitches but will not run. Odd that a new dynamo is faulty though, but its not impossible.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

It does seem that the dynamo is a dud which is surprising. If you are going to replace the dynamo be careful what you buy. There are dynamos sold as C40 but they are not Lucas and are poor reproductions. The giveaway is that they are cheap and not sold on an exchange basis. Various companies will sell you a genuine Lucas reconditioned dynamo on an exchange basis. I think your dynamo is the strepped case type? The stepped case fits the bracket/band that goes round the dynamo and is where the coil is mounted on top. I mention this because you are obviously going for originality. My car had its original dynamo 30 years ago and it was painted BMC green, as was the dynamo fan and bracket which I believe they all were originally. The reconditioned ones are painted black as mine is now.

By the way, I just looked back at your photos. You dynamo is indeed the stepped case type. Your coil bracket does not look correct and is in the wrong place. It should be around the narrow part of the dynamo case where it steps down. Also you are missing the coil steady plate.
IMG_8444.jpeg
IMG_8444.jpeg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 606 times
IMG_8443.jpeg
IMG_8443.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 606 times
Last edited by svenedin on Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

Ordered a new dynamo, fingers crossed that should do the trick :roll:
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

culp wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:04 pm Ordered a new dynamo, fingers crossed that should do the trick :roll:
Hope you got a genuine one and not a Far East or Indian copy.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

....and don't forget to polarise it as described earlier in this thread :tu1:
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Now I've taken photos and seen how shabby my dynamo area is I'll be getting out a can of BMC Green I think! Fan can go in my ultrasonic first.

Stephen
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

Success!

It's an Indian Dynamo but its from ESM and it works, fitted it, polarised it, connected it up, no Ignition Light. :D

Thanks everyone for the help and advice especially svendin, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar :tu1:
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

culp wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:22 pm Success!

It's an Indian Dynamo but its from ESM and it works, fitted it, polarised it, connected it up, no Ignition Light. :D

Thanks everyone for the help and advice especially svendin, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar :tu1:
That's very kind of you. Much appreciated. Lots of people on here generously help me with their advice and it is only fair that I should try to do that in return when I can.

Stephen

Stephen