Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Heater Spruce Up

Post by panky »

I had Ted's heater to bits for a clean up when he was under surgery. The front plate was painted satin black but looked a bit drab and started to get scratched

I was planning to use some Letraset to fill in the heater position lettering but couldn't find anything suitable, As it happens the facia is the same a a Mk1 Mini and Sticky Fingers ( http://www.stickyfingersdecals.com/ ) had just the right self adhesive decal :D

Just the job. Awkward to fit with the heater in the car but worth it I think.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Heater Spruce Up

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Very nice job :tu1:
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

The heater fascia should be crackle/wrinkle. Your screws are wrong too. Wrong rubber button on the “ears” as well. Very poor attention to detail
Attachments
38B086D2-998F-4112-BE92-26CCE99020AA.jpeg
38B086D2-998F-4112-BE92-26CCE99020AA.jpeg (3.61 MiB) Viewed 3818 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Great work! Thanks for the tip about the printing.
Don
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Sticky Fingers will print directly on to your fascia for £5 if you send it to them.

Stephen
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

svenedin wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:18 pm The heater fascia should be crackle/wrinkle.Very poor attention to detail
And your wrinkles don't look like the original wrinkle pattern, so poor attention to detail on your part too! :lol:

Did you mean this company when you said Sticky Fingers?
http://www.stickyfingersdecals.com/
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

svenedin wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:18 pm The heater fascia should be crackle/wrinkle. Your screws are wrong too. Wrong rubber button on the “ears” as well. Very poor attention to detail
Sorry to upset your sense of correctness and for doing it the way I want, not everyone is a slave to originality . I'll ignore your comments in future
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:27 pm Very nice job :tu1:
Thank you
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

don58van wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:33 pm Great work! Thanks for the tip about the printing.
Don
Thank you
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Chief wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:08 pm
svenedin wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:18 pm The heater fascia should be crackle/wrinkle.Very poor attention to detail
And your wrinkles don't look like the original wrinkle pattern, so poor attention to detail on your part too! :lol:

Did you mean this company when you said Sticky Fingers?
http://www.stickyfingersdecals.com/
:D
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I was just being silly. I didn’t mean to be rude. Yes indeed my wrinkles are not identical to the original. I was going to use the Sticky Fingers decal but when it arrived I didn’t think it was going to look right. I had a bit of an eventful day with heaters yesterday. The heater valve on the engine block failed spectacularly

Stephen
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

svenedin wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:18 am I was just being silly. I didn’t mean to be rude.
Many years ago on the forum there was a slight misunderstanding between a younger member and an older member. The reason was that the young member (as an aside, I'm neither party in this) was used to ending jokes with some form of emoticon (also as an internet youth, I understood this), but the older member was not aware of this trend online and took the statement at face value and was not overly happy about it.

So yes, I did know you were being silly despite the lack of an emoticon :wink: hence my own: :lol:

I've not used them for interior decals, but I've used:
https://www.vinylletteringonline.co.uk/
in the past, and in fact what I did get printed is still in as-new condition 5 years on. Also if it should ever fail, they include a free copy (or used to) of your sticker so I have it ready to go as a replacement.
svenedin wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:18 am The heater valve on the engine block failed spectacularly
Not too much damage to the bonnet/interior carpets and parcel tray hopefully?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

No damage to anything fortunately. The valve suddenly fell apart and water gushed onto the hot exhaust manifold with huge clouds of steam. Luckily we were at traffic lights so I turned the car off immediately. We got home with the valve strapped back together with cable ties and a helpful bystander got us a bucket of water. It was lucky the exhaust manifold didn’t crack and that we could turn off immediately.

Stephen
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

svenedin wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:18 am I was just being silly. I didn’t mean to be rude. Yes indeed my wrinkles are not identical to the original. I was going to use the Sticky Fingers decal but when it arrived I didn’t think it was going to look right. I had a bit of an eventful day with heaters yesterday. The heater valve on the engine block failed spectacularly
In that case you're back off my naughty step. welcome back :D
Good info about Sticky Fingers printing directly on to your supplied surface :tu1:
Mrs Norris

Post by Mrs Norris »

Awkward to fit with the heater in the car but worth it I think
Firstly, I appreciate this thread is more than seven months old, but I’m a slow reader 😀

So I now have a decal from sticky fingers and trying to work out the best way to fit it with the heater in situ. The third fascia screw (at the top) isn’t accessible so the fascia plate can’t be removed without dropping the heater which seems a lot of work. I’m thinking of trimming the top of the decal to fit. I’m not yet sure whether the decal can be manoeuvred over the knob, or if I need to remove it.

How did you manage it panky? Any advice would be helpful.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I did exactly that, trimmed around the top screw and the knob removed.
Mrs Norris

Post by Mrs Norris »

I did exactly that, trimmed around the top screw and the knob removed
Thank you. I’ll give it a go. Hope the knob pulls off cleanly; if not, they’re cheap enough to replace.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

The knob may crack when you try to remove it. You might find it’s easier to remove if you warm it with a hairdryer. It is indeed a bit of a performance to drop the heater down (or to remove it). Mine was already broken when I did my heater overhaul (it was bound round with wire).

Stephen

Stephen