Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
egsj
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

touching in white wheel paint?

Post by egsj »

Hi. I have quite a lot of black chips / discoloured bits on the white wheels of my 1968 Traveller and am thinking either of getting them resprayed or buying a new set. Before I go down one of those pricey paths, I was thinking of trying to get a paint that's a reasonable match to see if touching in the bad bits will do (for now, anyhow: money's tight). Has anyone tried this? If it was successful, what paint type would you recommend? (Have tried uploading a photo here by using the picture icon in the toolbar, but no joy...)
Jamesy
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: touching in white wheel paint?

Post by ManyMinors »

It is perfectly simple to repaint wheels - either by touching up with a small brush if the areas of damage are small - or by repainting the whole wheel if that is required. The whole wheel can be repainted with a brush, spraycan or spraygun depending on the tools, facilities and experience you have. A primer should be used and the wheel prepared and rubbed down first. The tyre should be masked off or removed first. To touch the wheels up you'll need to find a close matching paint of course or mix something up. As a 1968 Minor would not have had white wheels originally (they would have been a silver grey probably) it is impossible to suggest what colour your wheels will be. Hammerite paints are popular, readily available and suitable for this type of work but many others are too.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Myrtles Man »

egsj
Minor Friendly

Post by egsj »

Thanks, both. I was hoping I had a standard type of white for Morris wheels (many that I've seen look the same to my untrained eye), which was why I was hoping someone might be able to specify a commonly used touch-in paint product, but I guess it's trickier than that. There are many shades of white, I know (mine are not the creamy 'Old English' type), so I'll have to see what I can find. I don't have the skill or time to do anything other than touching in with a tiny brush (I usually work 70-80 hours a week!) but will give that a go when I can.

Jamesy