Thank You All

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Neptune
MMOC Member: No

Thank You All

Post by Neptune »

I have been stalking you all for a while now (in the nicest possible way you understand) and I thought it time to blow my cover.
You have all been a font of knowledge and information as Mrs Neptune and I commence our search for our Traveller. I have a unique skill in that I can repeatedly search the interweb and find the perfect car except (you knew that was coming) its just been sold, "how much for that?" or "that's perfect" until I see the price (usually followed by spitting a mouthful of tea and hobnob at the screen) A certain NETTIE here has a lovely car in North Cornwall for sale, bit far from Essex though to view which seems par for the course at the moment, I have read a couple of Rays books as well as reading the posts you good people have put on here and when the right one comes up I'll pester you all further.
I'm an ex Morgan Roadster, Triumph Stag, Rover P6 owner so I have an idea what we are letting ourselves in for but none of those are any good for me her and the wonderdog
Anyway I'll keep stalking you quietly, if you think you see someone in the shadows turn round and they are gone its probably me.
Thank you all for all the help you have unknowingly supplied to date.
To quote Arnie as the Terminator "I'll be back"
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Thank You All

Post by Chief »

Neptune wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:08 pm A certain NETTIE here has a lovely car in North Cornwall for sale, bit far from Essex though to view which seems par for the course at the moment
Just think what a nice drive back you'd have after the train and bus journey to get there :D
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Checked the numbers?🤣
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Tinasminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Tinasminor »

We live in Essex (Rayliegh) and have two door in fair condition, my sister lives down in Cornwall close to Nettie I think and she has a nice traveller that she is thinking of selling, if interested I can get you details and photos.
Steve.
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

POMMReg wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:32 pm Checked the numbers?🤣
Thats one of the many things I have learnt from you oh wise one
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Tinasminor wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:23 pm We live in Essex (Rayliegh) and have two door in fair condition, my sister lives down in Cornwall close to Nettie I think and she has a nice traveller that she is thinking of selling, if interested I can get you details and photos.
Steve.
Very kind but north Cornwall is a bit far, I think a first drive from that distance home is a tad on the mad side for me, add in having it delivered, getting there (and back if I hate it) would make things impractical.
I feel like Gollum looking for "my pretty"
Its out there and if I'm patient the right car at the right price (subject to the mem sahibs agreement of course) will appear.
Thanks for the offer.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Neptune wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:00 pm ...north Cornwall is a bit far, I think a first drive from that distance home is a tad on the mad side for me...
Mmm, well, when I was in the same position as you are now, I found a car that appeared to suit my requirements and the private seller just happened to be in Fife, Scotland whereas I'm in Surrey. After a lengthy exchange of emails and many, many photographs we agreed on a price and I flew to Edinburgh and then took a train further north to Fife. The drive back home, all 525 miles of it, was the first time that I'd ever driven a Morris Minor and proved to be very useful for getting a proper feel for and understanding of the car, together with an increasing awareness of the various things (few, fortunately) that would need remedial attention once I got it home, the main problem being a total lack of synchro action in the gearbox. A non-synchro first is one thing but non-synchro second, third and fourth was something I (literally) hadn't bargained for - caveat emptor indeed!
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Myrtles Man wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:39 pm
Neptune wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:00 pm ...north Cornwall is a bit far, I think a first drive from that distance home is a tad on the mad side for me...
Mmm, well, when I was in the same position as you are now, I found a car that appeared to suit my requirements and the private seller just happened to be in Fife, Scotland whereas I'm in Surrey. After a lengthy exchange of emails and many, many photographs we agreed on a price and I flew to Edinburgh and then took a train further north to Fife. The drive back home, all 525 miles of it, was the first time that I'd ever driven a Morris Minor and proved to be very useful for getting a proper feel for and understanding of the car, together with an increasing awareness of the various things (few, fortunately) that would need remedial attention once I got it home, the main problem being a total lack of synchro action in the gearbox. A non-synchro first is one thing but non-synchro second, third and fourth was something I (literally) hadn't bargained for - caveat emptor indeed!
WOW!
That is dedication above and beyond the call of duty :D
525 miles of double de clutching.
I shall now stand and doff my cap towards the monitor in recognition of your efforts, I hope you have had many happy miles of Mog ownership in return for your efforts as well as a story to tell
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Thank you for your kind words and, just to dispel any possible impressions that I might have bought a pup, here's a picture of a spot of Moggie-ownership being enjoyed:-
Myrtle at Brooklands.JPG
Myrtle at Brooklands.JPG (195.16 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Back in 2000, I drove my current Minor back from Kent, where I had travelled to by train. A looong trip back to Cornwall, but everything went well except that the indicator switch packed up a few miles into the journey. So I was forced to use the trafficators for the rest of the way, boy was I glad I had them as an alternative to fall back on! :wink:
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Myrtles Man wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:37 pm Thank you for your kind words and, just to dispel any possible impressions that I might have bought a pup, here's a picture of a spot of Moggie-ownership being enjoyed:-
I thought at first you were sporting quite some style of beard and moustache, until I realised it was the side mirror :D

Thread's kinda funny really, here's another owner who had to do the 500mile~ trip to collect theres, in my case West Scotland to West Yorkshire and back again (then not long after the car had to do an even longer trip for restoration), though I was the passenger, not the driver at the time.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Chief wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:13 am I thought at first you were sporting quite some style of beard and moustache, until I realised it was the side mirror :D
No - I was actually blowing bubblegum at the time (I'm pretty good at it!). :lol:
jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

Long trips home seem to be the norm when I buy a Morris ,2018 I travelled by train to Bexhill on Sea and bought Agnes my Old English White Traveller
drove home overnight 550+miles . 2022 bought a 2 door Old English White Minor on Classic Car Auctions ,train to Bath picked up and taken to collect it by its keeper ,it had not been used for some time and during the 500 miles trip home it took a long time to settle down .It had been advertised as perfect .The speedo light and fuel gauge didn't work nor did the 12 volt socket ,I was glad when daylight came Sadie is now running well .
I live North of Perth and as a member of North East Morris Minor club attend shows in and around Aberdeen /Dundee .
My cars are named after my late Mother and Mother in Law as I used there money to buy them .