Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Engine selling price

Post by Classiccars »

Hi bought a 1275 tired engine from a member to transplant.However the original was rebuilt so I will sell it.Can you please advise a rough price and also what I could expect to get if it had a basic rebuild please
Chipper
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine selling price

Post by Chipper »

It all depends on several factors, including:

1. Is it an MG Midget* or Marina/Ital engine?
2. What overall condition is it in, i.e., just in need of light reconditioning or a full rebuild.
3. What mileage it may have done.
4. How complete is it, and does it include flywheel, clutch, and other ancillaries such as alternator/dynamo, starter motor, etc.?

* If it's an MG Midget 1275, these are worth more, particularly if it has a nitrided EN40B crank (later ones had a tuftrided EN16T one).

If you are able to supply the engine number, it may help with identifying the engine...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If a MG Midget engine another couple of things to consider relative to and could impact on its value - does it have a thin or thick flange sump flange to the block? Thick flanges are the preferred block. Does it have a casting hole above the centre main? Blocks without the casting hole are preferred.
As to a EN40B crankshaft - if it requires regrinding it may not be possible to get the crankshaft nitrited as the process has been near discontinued if not totally discontinued because of heath and environmental requirements/concerns.
Any re-grind of more than 0.010" requires the crankshaft to be re-treated.
I have a EN16T MG Midget crankshaft in my 1380cc engine and I have no concerns about its use.
A Midget engine ticking all the boxes is worth about £700 - £800. A Marina engine is worth about £500 and a Ital 'A' Plus engine is worth about £700. Values quoted are for complete engines without ancillaries. The value of course will depend upon condition of the engine and the needs of the prospective purchaser.
For example - about four years ago I sold a good 1275cc MG Midget short engine with the thick flange and no hole over the centre main for £375 which was needed urgently to go into a Lotus 11. The prices have gone up considerably since then.
I would suggest that spending money on a engine that will eventually be sold is a bad idea in that it will not materially increase the value relative to what you will have spent even if it is only a basic rebuild.

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Great stuff thank you.Will try to get more detail and post again.