By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tinasminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Noisy clutch

Post by Tinasminor »

Hi all,
Two quick MM questions,
1, we have a kind of whiring noise when our car is idling that diminishes when the clutch pedal is depressed, would this be the thrust bearing or could it be something else? The clutch operates perfectly other than being noisy
2, why do most people on here recommend removing the engine and not the gearbox when replacing a clutch?
Cheers Steve.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Re: Noisy clutch

Post by mogbob »

Steve
1.It sounds as though it is your clutch thrust bearing that's getting towards it sell by date. Any idea how old the clutch set up is ? Any other symptoms ,
difficulty engaging gear. People usually change the clutch plate and Thrust bearing at the same time. The bits will usually wear out at about the same time so whilst you have the car it bits , that's the time to renew in one go. An exception would be if a cheap thrust bearing was fitted with a decent new clutch recently. Then replacing with just a decent new thrust bearing might be a cheaper fix. DIY or garage repair.
2.personal choice , I guess, working on an engine ... out of the car is always much easier with " access all around ".If you have an engine hoist and engine stand and the space , etc.
Working underneath a car , suitably supported on axle stands and chocked, struggling with very heavy metal objects is not everybody's " cup of tea ".
Read other peoples posts and their reasons for taking a particular course. Weigh up the pros and cons.What equipment do you have / can borrow/ hire
costs / time / space facilities / indoors / outdoors/ safety, etc. Pay a Garage to do it ? Your car , your decision.
Stay safe Bob
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Going by your description, I reckon your noise is coming from the gearbox, possibly Layshaft bearings.

Regards John
Tinasminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Tinasminor »

StillGotMy1stCar wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:01 pm Going by your description, I reckon your noise is coming from the gearbox, possibly Layshaft bearings.

Regards John
If it were layshaft bearings would this noise stop when the clutch pedal was depressed?
Tinasminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Tinasminor »

mogbob wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:58 pm Steve
1.It sounds as though it is your clutch thrust bearing that's getting towards it sell by date. Any idea how old the clutch set up is ? Any other symptoms ,
difficulty engaging gear. People usually change the clutch plate and Thrust bearing at the same time. The bits will usually wear out at about the same time so whilst you have the car it bits , that's the time to renew in one go. An exception would be if a cheap thrust bearing was fitted with a decent new clutch recently. Then replacing with just a decent new thrust bearing might be a cheaper fix. DIY or garage repair.
2.personal choice , I guess, working on an engine ... out of the car is always much easier with " access all around ".If you have an engine hoist and engine stand and the space , etc.
Working underneath a car , suitably supported on axle stands and chocked, struggling with very heavy metal objects is not everybody's " cup of tea ".
Read other peoples posts and their reasons for taking a particular course. Weigh up the pros and cons.What equipment do you have / can borrow/ hire
costs / time / space facilities / indoors / outdoors/ safety, etc. Pay a Garage to do it ? Your car , your decision.
Stay safe Bob
Hi Bob, thanks for reply.
I would be doing it with the car on stands but with a mate helping, we did a mk2 consul clutch a couple of years ago.
Dont really want to do a release bearing change to find out the gearbox is faulty, I'd find that hard to take as it's not particularly noisy in first and changes gear smoothly and doesnt jump out of gear.
Steve.
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

When you push the clutch pedal down you are disconnecting the gearbox from the engine, therefore the gearbox stops turning and the noise stops. This is why I think it is your gearbox, first motion shaft bearing or layshaft bearings, as the noise isn’t too bad at the moment it may last for a few years before it gets worse.
Your car most likely has a carbon thrust bearing and when the pedal is up it should not be in contact with the clutch, that is what the pedal free play is for.

Regards John