Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Grumpy21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Too high or too low

Post by Grumpy21 »

Noticed my traveller has one side higher than the other by about an inch (not measured acutely yet)

But which side is incorrect?

I can’t find any guide measurements to compare with. So are there any guides say from floor to wheel arch or hub centre to wheel arch?

Ta
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Too high or too low

Post by philthehill »

The measurements are set out in the BMC Minor wksp manual.
The correct measurement is the difference between the inner suspension pivot pin and the outer suspension pivot pin.
For an unladen car measurement 'B' is the measurement you should take to determine if the suspension is height is correct or incorrect.
Suspension height setting.jpg
Suspension height setting.jpg (194.86 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Thanks for the reply Phil, I spotted that but it’s not the easiest thing for a simple chap with a tape measure to determine.

As a guide there must be an easier method to get a ball park figure, surely?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

What I do is use a piece of ply, place it vertically against the inner pin, mark off the ply against the adjacent pin, move the ply to the outer pin and mark off the ply against the adjacent pin. The difference between the two marks is measurement 'B'.
Adjust as necessary.
There are other ways of measuring the height but any other measurement may be false due to replacement of body panels.
Using the diagram above and setting the suspension to those measurements will ensure that the suspension is set right and the suspension movement is satisfactory.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The method that Phil has quoted is correct and the best. As a very rough guide, you could go for a flat hand held with the thumb at the top towards the top of the wheel arch, little finger on the top of the tyre, you want a gap of three to four fingers. The problem it, it varies depending on size of fingers, size of wheel, size and type of tyre and how the wing was fitted. It may not be correct, but is a rough guide.

I still recommend doing it properly, it's not that difficult.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well you could say a gap of about 1 1/2 inches between the wing and tyre is a rough (very) guide. It might give you an idea as to which side to adjust. Check on level ground though ! Looking at a side view of the car might also let you know what side looks right.
——— just seen the above post, after posting !

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Here is a rough and ready measurement guide which is used when fitting the thick suspension arm to the torsion bar splines - not for measuring already assembled suspension :-
Suspension height 22.jpeg
Suspension height 22.jpeg (49.27 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Thanks again for the above. My starting point is simply to decide if one side is too high or the other too low.

The hand and tyre method may well help decide. I can only work on one side os the car at a time so determining which side to adjust is my first step.

Cheers
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Not sure how well used your car is; but higher mileage with only the driver can lead to the driver's side settling. However, everything is interdependent, and a sagging rear spring could raise the opposite front corner. :-? Also check that there are no structural problems such as corroded chassis leg or crossmember as these will also affect the height; as can worn rubber bushes. The good news is that >90% of the time, it's a simple matter to correct :D
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

A quick evaluation is to stand back and project the bottom edge of the body towards the front wheel. It should be just a bit below center. Most likely one side will be much lower.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

A weak rear spring can also cause the opposite front corner to raise up.
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Problem solved

Oddly the adjustment plate (which I’ve never touched) was about 1/4 inch away from the chassis. Slackening off the torsion bar and adjustment plate nuts and it sprang back into position. Lowering one side by about half an inch. On the other side the problem was more self inflicted!

When I rebuilt the suspension last year it looks like I got the torsion bar one spline out. Sorted quite easily and it now siesta level and a touch lower. And looks better for it too

Thanks again as always.
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

Setting ride height can be a tricky one, I tried to lower my vans ride height a little bit a few years ago and this is how it ended up..

Think I might have over adjusted it..... that along with the 2" drop spindles, the 4 bar rear end and the Hydraulics,

BTW it’s not a photo shopped picture, it really is sitting on the floor.
Attachments
Lowest ever Minor van
Lowest ever Minor van
P1060572 (2).JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 1012 times