Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Technical Tips in Minor Matters 44/4

Post by geoberni »

So, browsing the latest Minor Matters, I was reading the Technical Tips...

I wonder if the author 'retired auto-electrician' Geoff Marshall is on this Forum??
There's a segment about repairing the Self Cancelling mechanism of the Indicators, a nice little luxury for those with later cars, but I was taken aback by the opening sentence:
This is a vital road safety issue, not just an MOT failure point.

I would love to know the reference for Geoff making this statement, since there is no requirement to check the self cancelling of the indicators.
On most, if not all, cars fitted with self cancelling system, if you don't make a sharp enough turn the self cancelling won't operate anyway... :roll:

Directly from the MOT Manual:
4.4.3. Compliance with requirements

Direction indicators must be amber.

Vehicles first used before 1 September 1965 may have white front indicators and red rear indicators, if the direction indicators are combined with stop lamps or combined with front or rear position lamps.

Switch on the direction indicator lamps and operate all the other lamps in turn to see if the direction indicator lamps are adversely affected.

On vehicles first used on or after 1 September 1965 with direction indicators combined with position lamps, the position lamp may or may not go out when its direction indicator is flashing. The direction indicator must flash amber only, with no white or red light.

A semaphore arm must light up when switched on, but it does not need to flash.

The precise position of lamps is not part of the inspection. You should check visually that they are at about the same height and distance from each side of the vehicle.

You must assess damaged or repaired lamps for security, colour, light output and durability.

Direction indicators that function sequentially/dynamically are not to be considered a reason to fail.
I do wish people would fact check their submissions to the magazine. It's not practical for the magazine staff to fact check everything they're given...
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Technical Tips in Minor Matters 44/4

Post by svenedin »

I noticed that too

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

svenedin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:51 pm I noticed that too and also a reader letter on page 13 where a heater control cable is installed incorrectly

Stephen
I read the bit about the heater, but not having that type of valve it was above my head.....
I did wonder how a soft metal wire such as a bent paper clip was going to act as a clip of some sort....:roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

geoberni wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:55 pm
svenedin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:51 pm I noticed that too and also a reader letter on page 13 where a heater control cable is installed incorrectly

Stephen
I read the bit about the heater, but not having that type of valve it was above my head.....
I did wonder how a soft metal wire such as a bent paper clip was going to act as a clip of some sort....:roll:
Having had a quick look at mine I’m not quite sure what the chap has done wrong but no bent paper clips are necessary

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

It appears from what was written that his heater valve was returning to the on position of its own accord. His paper clip acting as a spring clip to hold it when closed.
No idea why it would be necessary, easier to rectify the faulty valve or cable :lol:
Regards Bill
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Dunno about the minutiae of the Tester's handbook, but it is surely commendable if it helps people to repair their indicator stalks.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:03 pm Dunno about the minutiae of the Tester's handbook, but it is surely commendable if it helps people to repair their indicator stalks.
I thought it was perfectly clear that I was not questioning the technical advice, but I see no reason to falsely spread fear or anxiety amongst some owners, that their small problem of an indicator not self cancelling is going to be an MOT failure. :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

geoberni wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:46 am
JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:03 pm Dunno about the minutiae of the Tester's handbook, but it is surely commendable if it helps people to repair their indicator stalks.
I thought it was perfectly clear that I was not questioning the technical advice, but I see no reason to falsely spread fear or anxiety amongst some owners, that their small problem of an indicator not self cancelling is going to be an MOT failure. :roll:
True. As you say, it is NOT an MoT failure but the chap makes a valid point that it can be dangerous if the indicators do not self-cancel and the driver does not realise this.

My indicators did not self-cancel for years and I got totally used to manually cancelling them but with hearing loss I could no longer hear the relay on the bulkhead ticking. I then fitted a ticking relay under the dashboard instead and I can hear that. As it happened I have since sorted out the self-cancelling as well.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

svenedin wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:58 am
True. As you say, it is NOT an MoT failure but the chap makes a valid point that it can be dangerous if the indicators do not self-cancel and the driver does not realise this.
And I didn't question that aspect of the opening statement, although the onus is always on any driver not to pull out in front of someone just because the indicator is on.
Always assume the other driver is an unknown quantity, the Highway Code gives plenty of advice about inappropriate use of indicators, but you should never pull out in front of a car with an indicator operating, until they have at least clearly slowed down and the vehicle has commenced the turn.
They may for example, be intending to pull up just after the turning where you're waiting to pull out.
Where I live, we have a single carriageway bypass. You'd have to be a complete idiot to pull out in front of anything indicating to turn, because you could easily get hit by the impatient driver who decides to overtake the turning vehicle, despite the warning signs for the junction. :roll:

This Topic isn't about the safety or not of Indicators flashing, or drivers not cancelling them.
It's a wonderful luxury for those of you with such devices.
Many cars on the road don't have self cancelling systems, my Minor included.

It's about people making false, misleading, statements. They presumably made the statement because they believe it to be true, but we should not allow such false information to spread unchallenged. Just like the debacle over Tyres, Tubes and 'safety rims', 3 years ago.
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Put it in a letter to the Editor.