Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dryad
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Minor in the news!

Post by Dryad »

Just saw this on the ITV News page. A reminder that a Morris Minor is for life, not just for passing your test in! https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2023- ... -years-ago

svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Minor in the news!

Post by svenedin »

I passed my test in the car I still have but I have only owned my car for 34 years not 50!

I still remember the examiner bracing himself for disaster when he asked me to do an emergency stop. I think he thought the brakes would pull to one side and we would end up on the other side of the road. Nothing of the sort happened and we pulled up smartly and in a straight line.

When I was learning I managed to change from 2nd back into 1st when I was accelerating to change up into 3rd. The car went into 1st with no crunch whatsoever and when I let the clutch up, not realising what I had done, the car nearly stood on its nose. There was a lot of tyre smoke and I declared I would never drive again.........that lasted about 60 seconds and we were back on our way. I never repeated that mistake.

My friends laughed at my "old banger" because Xavier was 21 when I was 17. They had to stop laughing when they wanted lifts of course and I found myself being the one who could not drink for far too many pub outings........

Then I went to university and the 450 mile drive to Scotland seemed a tad ambitious so Xavier travelled by Motorail from London Euston. Xavier had better digs than we did -I rented a garage for him. A convertible really should not live outside in Scotland.

Xavier does not go far these days but he does get used almost every day and he is still toddles up and down the very same roads he did when I was 17 and he lives at the same house as well.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
sid
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by sid »

great story :) the car was also featured in Friday's Daily Mail.
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

I passed my test in my mother's VW Polo but I still own the car I bought just over 18 months later; 39 years and counting (Not quite 20 years for the Morris but I am now not far off being it's longest keeper). I was in the Daily Mail, with my Morris, not long ago (It was an item on electric cars; somewhat edited and so lost some of the meaning :roll: ).