Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wider wheels

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Thinking of purchasing some 5.5x14 wheels from JBW for my convertible & just wondered what the downsides, If any, would be? Wider wheels slightly heavier steering but give a more planted feel & better grip in the wet I would say.

What do you guys think? Keep them standard or opt for the 5.5x14 smoothies from JBW.
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wider wheels

Post by svenedin »

Those look nice but I wonder what they actually look like on a car? Small differences in wheels can be very noticeable and not always in a good way....

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Wider wheels will increase fuel consumption - if your car is standard and you're planning on normal driving I would not bother with wider.
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

I never thought of increased fuel consumption. Is that because of the increase in rolling resistance? I’ve seen the silver ones on a few commercials & they look great.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, because there is more surface area of the tyre in contact with the road and they will be slightly heavier. They may also cause increased noise while driving.
millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

If you are a 'spirited' driver you will find wider wheels will hold the road much better but you will have heavier steering when manoeuvring at slow speeds, also give a more modern look
I have never kept accurate fuel consumption records but I would assume increased fuel consumption will be negligible
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

I like them, see below
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

I think the wider wheels look great. So I’ll make a decision once I get all the other jobs sorted. Wheels should be the last thing on my list 😅
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

I expect the centre lineof the track will be wider than standard. That will increase the bearing loading. Likely not a great deal, but it used to make a difference when we added spacers to the likes of ford anglias…