Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Marek
MMOC Member: Yes

Morris Minor engine rebuild

Post by Marek »

Hello.
Please allow a somewhat stupid question.
I am planning to overhaul my Morris Minor 948cc engine (main bearings, con rods, pistons etc). Which engine parts are identical to those of a Mini? Mini parts are definitely easier to get here in Germany.
Thank you.
Greetings from Hamburg.
Marek
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Morris Minor engine rebuild

Post by philthehill »

Quite a few of the classic Mini 'A' Series engine parts will fit the 948cc Minor 'A' Series engine.
What I suggest is that you determine what parts are required and then have a look at the Moss Europe web site as it lists both classic Mini and Morris Minor engine parts. Where the part number is the same then the parts will be interchangeable.
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/?gclid=EA ... gJMzfD_BwE
Once you know the parts are interchangeable you can take it from there.

rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by rocco »

You're absolutely right about Mini parts being easier to get in Germany and I've wondered the same thing about compatibility of parts.

I've come to the conclusion that it's better to measure the parts in my own engine for tolerances and buy the appropriate new parts that might be needed, rather than nick parts from other engines.

I've bought a few parts from this guy. Delivery is slow and the choice of parts is limited but there might be a few bits you can get from him >>> https://stevens-shop.de/
1961 Morris Minor 1000
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

BMC were very canny when building new 'A' Series engines. They used quite a few parts from the range of BMC vehicles both in line and transverse versions.
For example:- the 12G202 head was used on the classic Mini Cooper and the 1098cc Morris 1000.
The 1098cc conrods fitted both the classic mini Cooper and the 1098cc Morris 1000.
Some of the classic Mini gearbox components were used or sourced from the gearbox of the Morris 1000.
Many of the smaller but no less important engine components are interchangeable.
A good book to have is 'The Anatomy of a Classic Mini' which list the components and part numbers of classic Mini car parts and the BMC vehicles they were used on.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115904359187 ... gL3DPD_BwE
I have a copy of the above book and find it invaluable especially when read with the Morris Minor spare parts list.

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I've found pretty everything above the crankshaft to be interchangable, with some nuances around conrods, pistons and rings. :tu1:
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Unless something drastic has happed to the 948cc 'A' Series conrods there is no reason to replace or overhaul the conrods.
The 948cc 'A' series gudgen/knuckle pin is held and located by a bolt. The 1098cc 'A' Series has a fully floating gudgen/knuckle pin in a bush. The conrods are not interchangeable but the fully floating gudgen/knuckle pin rods can be used if the engine is upgraded to 998cc with the appropriate pistons.

Marek

Post by Marek »

Thank you very much for your helpful information. :tu1: