Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
unclealec
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Upgrading - can it be this easy?

Post by unclealec »

I have had good response to my advert selling my current Riley RM, so I will hopefully be replacing her with another Morris Minor.
As it will be a daily driver, I am resolved to have the colossal power input of the 1098 engine. However, as I browse adverts, I have to admit that I am drawn to some earlier 948 models. Some cars just attract me, they look good value and tbh have the earlier cosmetic features that I prefer.
Having owned 948cc Minors in the past, I know that I could live with the lower HP engine, but eventually my intention would be to capture a terminally-rusty 1098 and swap the engine, gearbox, brakes, and back axle.
Can it be that easy?
Are there pitfalls that I have not though of that would lead wise owls to advise me to stick to the 1098 purchase plan?
I am competent in both body and mechanical work, so the doing thereof would be no hindrance - but with my speciality lying elsewhere I would appreciate the input from those better versed in things Morris Minor.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Upgrading - can it be this easy?

Post by svenedin »

Well........Morris cars are my thing. My friends now some of them deceased had pre war 8's etc and 948's of course. Personally I have only ever had a 1098. They say the 948 has a better balance. It runs more sweetly but yes it has a bit less puff than an 1098. Try it but don't be in a hurry to change it. The 948 is a really nice engine. Just my tuppence and they banned me from the Facebook group for this conservatism! I hate mods when there's no good reason.

Anyway, the diff is different ratio on a 948. Otherwise it's a drop in for a 1098

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

Thanks Stephen. I have owned both in the past. I just think the 1098 is slightly more versatile given that my regular routes involve stretches of smart motorway.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If you swap the complete drivetrain (engine with ancillaries, gearbox, back axle) and upgrade the front brakes, then yes, it is that easy. The engine and gearbox mountings are the same, the wiring and pipes connect in the same place, the pull start will continue to operate. I say engine and ancillaries as the carb and air filter are different, but still operate from the same controls. You might need a different rod from the clutch relay shaft to the operating fork (haven't got my parts book to hand, so that's from memory), but that's readily available and costs peanuts.

I too have driven both. I think that the 948 is sweeter, but the 1098 was fine for me commuting on main roads.
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by King Kenny »

I can only agree with the comments regarding the 948cc. When we bought my partners 948 2 door saloon she followed me home in my 1098 Traveller. The 948 steamed up Bath hill without topping out and it was not sluggish along the road home. Try it for a while before jumping into upgrading the new car.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

OK - I can rest assured that I would find a 948 just as useable as a 1098. Great. Once the Riley has gone I will pounce.
Don't forget to send me your names and addresses in case I have to sue.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Why not bore the 1098 to 1148? Why not go for a 1250? :D
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

Monty-4 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:01 pm Why not bore the 1098 to 1148? Why not go for a 1250? :D
I'm struggling to come to terms with the throbbing raw power of a 1098!
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.