Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
paul 300358
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Another valve stem thread.

Post by paul 300358 »

oliver90owner wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:24 pm the store-man, of old, is no longer. One needs the registration number of the vehicle or they cannot locate a part on the computer system these days.
Yesterday I went to get some blue antifreeze, I was told in the shop that I probably needed the red, but if I gave them the registration they would check. I had to explain that it's for a 1969 Morris and I wanted blue. The registration was not on their system.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

paul 300358 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:01 pm
oliver90owner wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:24 pm the store-man, of old, is no longer. One needs the registration number of the vehicle or they cannot locate a part on the computer system these days.
Yesterday I went to get some blue antifreeze, I was told in the shop that I probably needed the red, but if I gave them the registration they would check. I had to explain that it's for a 1969 Morris and I wanted blue. The registration was not on their system.
I find many such computer systems very unreliable, I have no idea where they get their data from.
As an example, I used to own a J Reg Mitsubishi Spacewaggon, which I sold in 2005.
I know the Pole I sold it to took it to Poland a few weeks later never to return, and the Reg comes up on the DVLA as Untaxed since 2005.
If I put the number in the Eurocarparts website, it's 'Not Found'.
If I put it in Halfords website, it comes up as a 1991 Mitsubish Spacewagon
So I tried the number in several other sites with varying success, around 50/50 on whether it was valid or not.

But if I put in Basil's number, which is an Age Related plate issued some 20 years ago, it's invariably 'Not Found', even though it is on the DVLA and MIB databases... Go Figure.... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

To wrap up my involvement with this thread and to show that it is possible to use the Ford metal cased valve stem seal I have posted photos of the installation on a 12G 940 head.
Below - the modified Ford valve stem seal installed on the 940 head:-
Ford valve stem seal 8.JPG
Ford valve stem seal 8.JPG (196.58 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
Below - the BL spring and Ford valve stem seal fitted to the 940 head:-
Ford valve stem seal 7.JPG
Ford valve stem seal 7.JPG (191.38 KiB) Viewed 3560 times
Below - the BL valve, the Ford valve stem seal, the valve spring, the top cap and cotters all installed on the 940 head.
Ford valve stem seal 6.JPG
Ford valve stem seal 6.JPG (145.79 KiB) Viewed 3560 times
Note:- Prior to final assy I knocked the valve guide to 3mm below the standard datum setting to improve the clearance. This is an additional 1mm to that (2mm) quoted above.
The design of the Ford valve stem seal prohibits the use of double springs.
If anyone wants to take this modification further forward the above information/photos is/are a good starting point.
The main bonus of this modification is that if you do not have top hat valve stem seals fitted and have valve guides without seal retention grooves then this modification does away with the need for grooved valve guides and having the valve seats re-ground concentric to the guides. When fitting new valve guides the valve seat should be cut or ground concentric to the valve guide. There is no guarantee that original valve seats will end up concentric to the new valve guide.
Phil

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If anyone would like to take this further they can have the seals free of charge.
The seals where obtained with the express purpose of seeing if it was possible to use the Ford valve seals on a 'A' Series head..
Now that I know that it can be done (see thread above) the seals are surplus to requirements as I will never use them.
Any takers??
PM me with a name and the address you want them posted to.
Phil