By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Morris1957
MMOC Member: No

No Fuel to fuel pump.

Post by Morris1957 »

Hi
I have a 1955 minor 4 door
Standard Fuel pump.
Tank cleaned and re installed with sender unit.
I gallon new fuel into empty tank.
Fuel pump clicks but no fuel reaching fuel pump, after a good few tries.
Suggestions on how to proceed much appreciated as not sure how to proceed.
Thanks.
Ron
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: No Fuel to fuel pump.

Post by simmitc »

It could be that the pick-up tube in the tank has sheared off or become blocked, there might be an air leak at the tank to pipe joint or the pipe to pump joint.

Disconnect the metal pipe from the pump and blow down it. Is there a bit of resistance and can you hear bubbling from the tank as the air exits the pipe and rises through the petrol. Also smear washing up liquid around the pipe to tank joint and see if bubbles appear in that, which would indicate an air leak.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

Before you do anything to drastic I have found the valves don't always seal in the pump when dry. This is probably really bad practice but last time this happened to me I took the flexi fuel hose off and squirted some wd40 into the pump.

The system primed immediately after this. I am sure others may frown about this approach but I guess you could try getting some fuel into the pump as an alternative.
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by svenedin »

mowogg wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:16 pm Before you do anything to drastic I have found the valves don't always seal in the pump when dry. This is probably really bad practice but last time this happened to me I took the flexi fuel hose off and squirted some wd40 into the pump.

The system primed immediately after this. I am sure others may frown about this approach but I guess you could try getting some fuel into the pump as an alternative.
I don’t see what is wrong with this approach. I have taken the pump off and flushed it out with carburettor cleaner which I think achieves the same thing. Also a good idea to remove and clean the filter. I assume the valves (which are only metal discs) sometimes stick or fail to seal due to dirt.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

What is the pump telling you? A fast rapid pumping is an air leak. A slower steady pump is good for an empty line and means it's pulling some. A quick and then slowing pumping to even stopping is indicating a clogged line.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

Just to add to my earlier comments my pump run fast and did not prime. As suggested above this could be an air leak but in my case I think it was the valves not sealing while dry.

Once sprayed with oil the system primed and I have never had to repeat the procedure This is for priming a rebuilt dry system
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

Of course the obvious, not enough fuel in the tank. With just a gallon, the inlet must be located correctly.