Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
exlkrs
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Annual Insurance Fun.

Post by exlkrs »

The Media tells us of big hikes this year, but I didn't expect 50%. So, a quick trawl. One madly higher again, One rang me pressure selling before I'd even finished the online quote! Then was madly higher. One doesn't quote online, despite the word 'Line' in the title. Another very well known is 'considering', and the one with an affiliation with the club is only a fiver cheaper, so I'll swallow the 50% and stay where I am! Hour of my life I won't get back!!
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Re: Annual Insurance Fun.

Post by Classiccars »

Looking forward to that soon.
olonas
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by olonas »

My renewal quote, for earlier this month, was 100% higher!
I did the annual search and, from the same broker/company, the quote was the same as the previous year's policy price. I phoned them up and without any negotiation whatsoever it was matched. :tu1:
The only difference is that the previous policy included breakdown cover at the roadside, more than 1/4 mile from home. That doesn't really concern me because my personal main car cover includes any other vehicle as a driver or passenger.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Got my renewal quote, enquire how much now mmoc member and get a discount.?

Answer more expensive through club scheme :roll:
2nd quote from another well known classic insurers 50% more expensive than renewal quote.
So sticking with existing, gone up a bit since last year around 10% so pretty good :tu1:
Regards Bill
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I recently insured a 1885 Citroen BX 19 GT, it was cheaper to insure than the 1991 Mini Cooper it replaced :-?
Maria1959morris
Minor Friendly

Post by Maria1959morris »

Got my renew.quote from.footman James.phoned them and got it 100 cheaper so happy unlike my modern car which had pay treble.this year
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

Well, happy ending to report. Never use comparison sites for Classic stuff, but did this morning, and turned up a sub £100 quote. Phone original renewal company, they more than matched it!! Happy bunny.
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

panky wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:48 pm I recently insured a 1885 Citroen BX 19 GT...

Crikey! The world's first-ever car and it must be worth an absolute mint too! :D
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

The knew how to make 'em back then :D
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

I can beat that.
Carole Nash, who I've been with for 12 years, emailed me today to say they can't re-quote for my Jan 24 renewal.
So I rang up to find out why. I need to know, as the new insurer will ask that very question. And no answer = no quote = no cover.
After two frustrating hours of being bounced around between Carole Nash's Reception, Customer Service, Renewals, Sales et al, I finally got an answer, albeit partial.
CN: "It's because of the advised modifications."
Me: "What modifications? Nothing's been done in the past 10 years, and even those earlier mods were only safety-related; later brake drums, radials etc"
CN: "The underwriters don't/won't say."
CN: "We did get a quote from another underwriter, but our system won't let us pass it on."
Me: "More than last year's £80?
CN: "£11,000."
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

PS
Just received Adrian Flux's quote. It's around £10,900 pa cheaper than the renewal premium that Carole Nash could procure.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

What's going on? I hope these issues don't become more commonplace. When I had to re-insure recently, the broker asked a lot of questions and then balked at the fact that my Minor is my only car (despite me having insured through them for at least 10 years now) and asked my how did I get around - which seems a stupid question. I said I walk, I cycle, I use buses and trains...and my car, that's what its for. The guy said he was going to have to check and get back to me as it was a problem that I don't have another car. I said I can't see what difference that makes as I am retired (i.e. no business use) and that I am on a 5,000 mile restricted mileage anyway.
He never did get back so I rang them the next day, saying I wanted to renew, and the (different) person just processed everything there and then, without asking a load of questions. As they say, go figure....... :-?
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I think it is all because modern insurance companies use a standard computer system that has no box to tick for classic cars like ours. Every minor on the road, including mine, has been modified but the youngsters filling in the forms have no concept of this. I had to lie in order to get a quote last year. I was desperate as no company would offer me a quote without asking inane questions that have no bearing on how I drive or the safety of my car. 'Have you ever lived abroad?' Well, yes. Because I put yes they would not quote me. But what has that got to do with anything. I was 8 years old!
Years ago it was a weekend ritual to look out of my front room window to see if my neighbours had their bonnet up. We had to do routine maintenance in order to keep the cars running. "Got a problem?"I would ask. "Sh*t in the carburetter," they would say. "How often do you have to do that!" You never see any one with their head under the bonnet now. I am not looking forward to my renewal in February.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

King Kenny wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:28 pm I think it is all because modern insurance companies use a standard computer system that has no box to tick for classic cars like ours. Every minor on the road, including mine, has been modified but the youngsters filling in the forms have no concept of this......
Flow chart mentality, badly programmed systems and "Artificial Intelligence", that is closer to being genuine stupidity, are sadly all too common these days, with initiative being an alien concept :roll: :evil: . Such is the poor level of communication, within lots of these places, that if you find someone, with anything useful between their ears, nobody else will know what has been agreed; it's a shambles, many large organisations not knowing their corporate posteriors from their corporate elbows. Many years ago, there was a TV program on every Sunday evening, called "That's life", part of which highlighted the kind of inane stupidity, made common these days, by the above. If that was still being shown, it could be on for several hours each day.....much of it relating to phone/Internet firms, banks or carriers :roll: .

I've been lucky with insurance, in that I have been with Peter Best for nearly forty years (Mine is a very low account number). Partly through inheritance, I now have a collectors policy and can insure four cars for less money than I recall paying out on a Golf GTI thirty years ago. The issue of no modern car no longer crops up but since I have commuted by bicycle, for more than twenty years (Aside from the odd day, I haven't commuted by car in over thirty years and I'm now not far off getting a bus pass), it's not been an issue.
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

I'm still having trouble getting Carole Nash to confirm whether they've withdrawn from insuring Morris Minors.
As mentioned upthread, they declined to renew my policy with them, after 10 claim-free years, and no change of circumstances.
Two hours on the phone revealed that this was because of my having fitted 8" front drums to my SII (in 1978!). And they no longer accept cars with modifications.
But they've just changed their story, saying it's because the insurer they'd previously placed me with no longer insures classic cars at all.
And they can find no Company prepared to insure for under £11,000.
I'm now concerned that owners with an existing CN policy may have any claim rejected, or even be charged with uninsured driving, if they've innocently not declared ALL their "Modifications" on their application, when they had in fact fitted any of the bog standard:

Radial tyres
1098 engine
8" front drums
Seatbelts
Screen washer (compulsory since 1971)
Better seats
Oil pressure gauge
Temperature gauge
Indicators (in place or in addition to trafficators)
Hazard warning lights
etc etc

Basically, anything fitted after the car first left the showroom may be invalidating some policies.
I advise members to check.