Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Marek
MMOC Member: Yes

Engine installation problem

Post by Marek »

Happy New Year to everyone.
I'm having a little problem installing my new engine. (1275)
Is it possible to install the engine with the gearbox still in and both engine mounts-brackets fixed?
The screws are so worn out I can't loosen them.
Does it make more sense to remove the gearbox and install the engine and gearbox as one unit (if the motor mounts are fixed), or should I leave the gearbox in and try to loosen one of the motor bracket-mounts.
Can it be done with 4 well-trained men, or is a lifter necessary?
All the best and greetings from Hamburg
Marek
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Engine installation problem

Post by svenedin »

Greeting from Surrey and Frohes Neues Jahr.

I am not familiar with the specifics of a 1275 installation but this thread may help: viewtopic.php?t=10236

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by jaekl »

803, 948, 1098, 1275 all install basically the same. Trying to remove or install with both front towers installed require much prying to remove or insert the front engine mounting blocks. The engine is moving vertically, but the studs on the mounting blocks are perpendicular to the angled mounting faces.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Fit and bolt in one engine mount tower (with engine mount attached) to the chassis leg, install engine and gearbox in the engine bay, bolt engine to fitted engine tower/engine mount, gently lift up the engine which will cant over enabling the other engine tower (with mount loosely attached) to be slipped into place, secure all bolts and fittings relating to the engine mounts.
Finally bolt up gearbox mounts.
As regards the link quoted above - there are several things within the link that should be discounted especially the flywheel mounting process.
My recommendation is - do the job properly and if not sure of the correct process just ask on here.