Can’t get my daughters car to start

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Can’t get my daughters car to start

Post by simmitc »

Presumably he was trying to make himself look a complete [insert your choice of term here] and he succeeded. If he wanted to learn and Chloe told him, then he should have listened. To then say he had to go and leave Chloe with the problem is just adding insult. If his daughter is really that thick, then it clearly runs in the family. She could always leave a note on the dashboard saying "Choke?".

That all said, I would still expect the battery to be able to manage a few more attempts, even in winter. I did suggest once before that the battery should be checked - perhaps the nice man from the AA will have done that?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Guy is a complete ****. If he thought he was being clever then he was the exact opposite. Why would anyone be so stupid? Well, there are a lot of idiots about and Chloe had the misfortune to run into one. Hope all's well again soon.....
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Elainesminor »

simmitc wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:45 pm Presumably he was trying to make himself look a complete [insert your choice of term here] and he succeeded. If he wanted to learn and Chloe told him, then he should have listened. To then say he had to go and leave Chloe with the problem is just adding insult. If his daughter is really that thick, then it clearly runs in the family. She could always leave a note on the dashboard saying "Choke?".

That all said, I would still expect the battery to be able to manage a few more attempts, even in winter. I did suggest once before that the battery should be checked - perhaps the nice man from the AA will have done that?
Hi

Chloe’s not in yet but after talking with her it was 12 try’s without choke then 6 using the choke at different positions then the battery died so used jump leads and another 10 or so try’s still using various choke settings and even choke in thinking she’d flooded it but she said she didn’t smell flooded

Maybe I’m thinking way way off track here but remember when Chloe purchased her and I couldn’t get her started , after googling for help I actually came across something called “ cranking fetish “ where apparently men love to watch females struggle to start their cars , the fact it has a manual choke and Chloe wears heels both at work then changes to an old pair of heels to drive in , maybe I’m reading too much into it , if it had been me instead of Chloe I might have tried 4 times then insisted I use choke cos knowing what I now know standing 6 hours in winter she’d be very reluctant to start even though she did but stall .

I went to a friends house New Year’s Eve, was there 3 1/2 hrs , came out and after checking the time tried her without choke and she started 1st try but stalled her trying to pull away so keep her in 1st gear and clutch in and tried 3 times to restart her but each time she only turned over so gave her half choke and she still took 2 turns of the key to start so 6 hrs is ambitious

So what do you think about the fetish thing ??

Elaine x
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I dunno about a 'fetish' but the guy was clearly trying to have some fun at Chloe's expense - and succeeded. She should have thrown him out of the car as soon as he pushed the choke in - that was plain cheeky.
But why were you trying to drive away without choke in winter after 3 1/2 hours stood still, Elaine? It has been pointed out before in this thread that, in winter, you will need a certain amount of choke to start and drive away before the engine warms up. The engine doesn't warm up immediately just because it started. As stated before, a good guide is if warm/hot air is coming out of the heater, then the engine should be warmed up enough to run without any choke.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Your daughter should of choked him not the car :lol:
Regards Bill
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Ive read shorter threads on rebuilding an engine than on the use of the choke ! :D
Just to extend it a bit longer, it may be that the choke cable is too slack therefore not reaching full choke.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

les wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:20 pm Ive read shorter threads on rebuilding an engine than on the use of the choke ! :D
Just to extend it a bit longer, it may be that the choke cable is too slack therefore not reaching full choke.
I think there have been shorter threads on a complete back to bare metal car restoration.......

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Elainesminor »

Bill_qaz wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:15 pm Your daughter should of choked him not the car :lol:
Morning

I agree with you , I’m seriously thinking about going and confronting this man at Chloe’s workplace but Chloe being as nice as she is doesn’t want me to…………shame 🥊

Elaine x
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Elainesminor »

myoldjalopy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:16 pm I dunno about a 'fetish' but the guy was clearly trying to have some fun at Chloe's expense - and succeeded. She should have thrown him out of the car as soon as he pushed the choke in - that was plain cheeky.
But why were you trying to drive away without choke in winter after 3 1/2 hours stood still, Elaine? It has been pointed out before in this thread that, in winter, you will need a certain amount of choke to start and drive away before the engine warms up. The engine doesn't warm up immediately just because it started. As stated before, a good guide is if warm/hot air is coming out of the heater, then the engine should be warmed up enough to run without any choke.
Hiya

I realise I made a mistake but she seamed absolutely fine once she started , no hesitation when I gave her a few revs and didn’t stall when I took my foot off the accelerator, if she was spluttering and stalled when I took my foot off I would have used some , lesson learned , the main thing is I made it home and no damage done

Elaine x
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Elainesminor »

les wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:20 pm Ive read shorter threads on rebuilding an engine than on the use of the choke ! :D
Hi

I didn’t realise I was getting on people’s nerves but I’ll try to keep off here and stop listening rubbish

Thx for the tip about the cable , I’ll get it checked out

Once again I’m sorry 😔

Elaine x
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Elainesminor wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:10 pm
Hi

I didn’t realise I was getting on people’s nerves but I’ll try to keep off here and stop listening rubbish

Once again I’m sorry 😔

Elaine x
It was just a joke. I am sorry if I offended you.

Stephen

Stephen
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Looks like I started it !! I’m quite ‘choked’ you didn’t appreciate my sense of humour, it was all in a light hearted manner, Post what and when you like Elaine. :D

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Hi

Once again I’m sorry 😔

Elaine x
[/quote]

Elaine,
Don’t worry. Not your fault the thread is so long when comments like that are posted. They don’t have to read the thread if all they do is complain of the content being too long.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Seriously though, the chap asking what would happen if his daughter forgot to use the choke was being very unreasonable expecting multiple attempts to start the car without choke resulting in a flat battery. I would have said to him "If your daughter forgets to use the choke with a cold engine the car won't start" and left it at that. I might have demonstrated once that the engine will not start. Surely, this daughter would soon remember to use the choke if the car won't start?

Having been caught out with a flat battery (in a modern car) and waiting hours for the AA I now carry one of those small lithium ion battery pack jump starters. Very useful and takes up such a small space. I have only had to use it on my own car once but my neighbours have knocked asking to use it many times! With a Morris I would use the starting handle if the battery was flat but this is a bit of a dark art and can be dangerous if you have not been shown how to do it safely. There is a "Chauffeur's Fracture" sometimes known as a "Backfire Fracture".......https://radiopaedia.org/articles/chauff ... re?lang=gb

Stephen

Stephen
Exasperant
Minor Friendly

Post by Exasperant »

Elainesminor wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:56 pm does anybody know what this man was trying to achieve ?
I could hazard a guess, but this seems to be a family friendly forum so let's just leave it as "I have questions about his lineage, character, and unevenly developed biceps".

If you've got the starting handle, and someone tries to pull this idiocy again, maybe the demonstration can open with "And if the battery goes flat, you can always use this"
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Exasperant wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:45 pm "And if the battery goes flat, you can always use this"
Is that for starting the engine or hitting him over the head?

olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

Being a pedant, I'll just chip in and ask why some keyboards don't have h, a, v and e on them?
It really does choke me up!
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Elainesminor »

Afternoon everyone

Just thought I’d give you an update, the man at Chloe’s place of work came to see her this morning with a large bouquet of flowers and ‘ cap in hand ‘ and full of apologies for the other day and what happened, after I spoke with Chloe and showed her what I’d found on the internet about the fetish Chloe asked him straight and he showed her pics of his daughter at 15/16 sitting in various moggys at car shows with a grin on her face so we believe his intentions to be genuine

After the AA arrived and put a jump pack on she started 2nd try , when Chloe asked why wouldn’t she start with jump leads , the AA man said you’d probably flooded her with 25 plus try’s

Alls well that ends well but thank you so much for listening and helping

Elaine x
Exasperant
Minor Friendly

Post by Exasperant »

KeithL wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:21 pm Is that for starting the engine or hitting him over the head?
You are a far kinder, and less twisted, person than I.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[quote=Exasperant
[/quote]

You are a far kinder, and less twisted, person than I.
[/quote]
It’s not easy to judge someone from one, admittedly strange encounter, and if Elaine can accept the outcome, good for her.