Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Can’t get my daughters car to start

Post by Bill_qaz »

olonas wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:18 am Being a pedant, I'll just chip in and ask why some keyboards don't have h, a, v and e on them?
It really does choke me up!
Explanation required please
Regards Bill
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Here you go Bill - earlier in the thread, 'Exasperant' wrote "If you've got the starting handle...." 'Olonas' would prefer "If you have a starting handle...."
Relates to the 'Changing Language' thread as well.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:57 am Here you go Bill - earlier in the thread, 'Exasperant' wrote "If you've got the starting handle...." 'Olonas' would prefer "If you have a starting handle...."
More likely Bill’s posting where he should’ve written should’ve instead of “should of”. He would’ve not actually have needed the h and a by using the ‘ve.🙂
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes he could’ve but decided not to’ve :D

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, maybe 'olonas' will come along dreckly and clarify everything! 8)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I like 'dreckly' , that should certainly be a word.

I knew of someone years ago who thought 'phorinstance' was a word. :o
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Yeh, zackly!
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Sorry Elaine to hijack your thread.

I think that Les had a point....in that the choke cable may be a bit slack; so that you are not getting full choke when you pull the knob out.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

oliver90owner wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:56 pm
myoldjalopy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:57 am Here you go Bill - earlier in the thread, 'Exasperant' wrote "If you've got the starting handle...." 'Olonas' would prefer "If you have a starting handle...."
More likely Bill’s posting where he should’ve written should’ve instead of “should of”. He would’ve not actually have needed the h and a by using the ‘ve.🙂
I should have not used should of but I fort it was rite, darrel learn me worril be happenin iv yeh is hughesing bad grams bro :roll:
Regards Bill
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:46 pm Sorry Elaine to hijack your thread.

I think that Les had a point....in that the choke cable may be a bit slack; so that you are not getting full choke when you pull the knob out.
If that were the case, the choke knob would just be pulled out excessively. The scenario for incomplete choke operation would be if the choke outer cable were clamped with too much extension towards the choke lever.

Bill,
I should have not used should of but I fort it was rite, darrel learn me worril be happenin iv yeh is hughesing bad grams bro
Olonas seems to put two much intwo grammer, spallin and wurd usage. Using proppa turms is all that needs correcting wen it don't not meen the rite fing, IMO.

Too many things get changed over the years, by those that know no better. Cell and battery are one such example. Exactly how many anti-aircraft batteries, in WWII, only had one gun!

Also, there are ‘defiantly’ a lot of dyslectics around - as well as carp auto-correct functions on mobile phones. Definitely, in my view (or was that defiantly?)
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

After 50 year In automotive industry its more important that people understand the reference that it be grammatically correct. There is also many variations in terminology as vehicles are international even the ones we think are 100% British.
Earth, ground, mass, as an example and many use different acronyms for the same systems, such as ASR VSC.
An informal and informative forum is not somewhere that grammatical correctness is important, especially when not all members first language is English.

Rant over back to chompin me sarnie :lol:
Before the off topic police turn up.
Regards Bill
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[quote=.

[/quote]

If that were the case, the choke knob would just be pulled out excessively. The scenario for incomplete choke operation would be if the choke outer cable were clamped with too much extension towards the choke lever.[/quote]

I’ll try again then, :D in other words, the mixture might be on the weak side !

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

All joking and banter aside, I do seriously wonder about the set up of the engine in the "Daughter's car"....
All these problems starting it.... :-?
I went out to my garage a few days ago when the temp was around 2-3 deg C, and pushed the Minor out onto the drive, so I could get access into the garage roof space where I store the outside Christmas decorations.
The Minor sat out in the gentle breeze all day, chilling thoroughly, while I packed up the decorations and stored them, and then rather than push him back into the garage, I decided to start him up and drive him back in.

Full choke, Ign on, pull Start Knob..... a couple of seconds of cranking over and he burst into life, Choke pushed in to about 1/3rd and drove into garage.
This was the first time I'd started him for about a month, he's not going anywhere yet as I'm still to find the time to finish fitting the new headlight bowls, having removed the headlights before Christmas. :roll:

So I just ran him for another minute or two in the garage, with the choke pushed in and a gentle throttle application before switching off. At least the oil's well circulated....

I really don't understand why Elaine and her daughter are having so much trouble starting the car, unless the Fuel/Ign system needs attention....
Timing, Mixture, Plug Gap, whatever it is, something isn't quite right...
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, any of that is possible, its hard to know from a distance. On the other hand, these two ladies seem reluctant to actually use the choke (stories about starting up without choke when the car has been "covered in ice", or left out in winter for hours etc.). I have pointed out previously that just because the car starts without choke it doesn't mean it will drive away, especially in the middle of winter, before the engine is warmed up properly - which doesn't occur immediately the engine has started, choke or no choke! The choke mechanism is, of course, there for a reason - to enrich the fuel mixture enabling an easier start from cold. It does take a little time before the engine is warm enough so that the thermostat opens, which is why I have suggested that warm/hot air coming out of the heater is an indication that the choke can be pushed back in.
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Elainesminor »

geoberni wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:25 pm All joking and banter aside, I do seriously wonder about the set up of the engine in the "Daughter's car"....
All these problems starting it.... :-?
I went out to my garage a few days ago when the temp was around 2-3 deg C, and pushed the Minor out onto the drive, so I could get access into the garage roof space where I store the outside Christmas decorations.
The Minor sat out in the gentle breeze all day, chilling thoroughly, while I packed up the decorations and stored them, and then rather than push him back into the garage, I decided to start him up and drive him back in.

Full choke, Ign on, pull Start Knob..... a couple of seconds of cranking over and he burst into life, Choke pushed in to about 1/3rd and drove into garage.
This was the first time I'd started him for about a month, he's not going anywhere yet as I'm still to find the time to finish fitting the new headlight bowls, having removed the headlights before Christmas. :roll:

So I just ran him for another minute or two in the garage, with the choke pushed in and a gentle throttle application before switching off. At least the oil's well circulated....

I really don't understand why Elaine and her daughter are having so much trouble starting the car, unless the Fuel/Ign system needs attention....
Timing, Mixture, Plug Gap, whatever it is, something isn't quite right...
Afternoon hun

The car has been to see the mechanic again about the starting issues , I took the service history with me and info about her last service she had and he was happy with that so removed the air filter and looked at the choke operation while I worked the choke in and out , he said what they called it but when I pulled the choke out fully this thing wasn’t closing fully which he said when using full choke from in the car it wasn’t actually giving the carb full choke which on very cold mornings would probably lead to multiple attempts, there was also slack or play on the knob so no movement on this thing in the carb until I’d got the knob out approximately 3/8” , the cable is also fraid so he’s ordering a new cable but he’s 100% certain that’s the issue

Elaine x
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

"...no movement on this thing in the carb until I’d got the knob out approximately 3/8”..."

That's normal for a correctly set up carburettor; it provides the fast tickover facility that I told you about much earlier in this saga.
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Elainesminor »

myoldjalopy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:21 pm Well, any of that is possible, its hard to know from a distance. On the other hand, these two ladies seem reluctant to actually use the choke (stories about starting up without choke when the car has been "covered in ice", or left out in winter for hours etc.). I have pointed out previously that just because the car starts without choke it doesn't mean it will drive away, especially in the middle of winter, before the engine is warmed up properly - which doesn't occur immediately the engine has started, choke or no choke! The choke mechanism is, of course, there for a reason - to enrich the fuel mixture enabling an easier start from cold. It does take a little time before the engine is warm enough so that the thermostat opens, which is why I have suggested that warm/hot air coming out of the heater is an indication that the choke can be pushed back in.

Hiya

It’s not that Chloe and I are reluctant to use the choke , we are just very wary , first thing in the morning is fine, after a full day at work is ok as well , it’s if she’s only stood 2,3 or 4 hours , to date Chloe has flooded her twice by over choking her then trying to start her after about 3 hours standing , I’ve flooded her once after standing 4 hours which is why both of us would rather try without anything up to about 4 hrs and if she starts then we can introduce some choke, if she refuses to even start then we can introduce a bit choke , an example was on Saturday, we had a mother and daughter day at the metro Center, parked in the multi story carpark , we were gone about 3 hrs 45 minutes and when we returned Chloe tried twice to start her no choke but she only turned over so gave her about 1/3rd choke , she started but had a splutter and stalled so then gave her 1/2 choke and she fired right up but other days she’ll start without choke after 3hrs 45 mins, we just don’t want to over choke her and flood her , maybe when a new cable is fitted she’ll be even better

Elaine x
Elainesminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Elainesminor »

Myrtles Man wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:41 pm "...no movement on this thing in the carb until I’d got the knob out approximately 3/8”..."

That's normal for a correctly set up carburettor; it provides the fast tickover facility that I told you about much earlier in this saga.
I might have just remembered the name I was thinking , is it a butterfly ?

Yes I can remember what you told me

Elaine x
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Yes, 'butterfly' is correct. You may find this video explanation helpful in understanding how it's all supposed to work:-
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=morri ... LttW8,st:0
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Myrtles Man wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:20 pm Yes, 'butterfly' is correct. You may find this video explanation helpful in understanding how it's all supposed to work:-
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=morri ... LttW8,st:0
Which one did you mean for people to watch? My PC opened the link as a Google search list. :-?
https://youtu.be/5KiMzWmtvFI
or
https://youtu.be/2_oT2NLttW8

The one with the woman in the Minor or the guy with the Bugeye?
The woman turns the Ign on and waits before starting it, saying 'I'm just waiting for the engine to warm up...' Does she think it's a Diesel ???
Then she wants to sit there on choke for 5 minutes and says 'Don't rev the engine until it's warmed up...
I just couldn't watch the whole thing.... :-?

The Bugeyeguys one seems informative.
Basil the 1955 series II