By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
shedthestate
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Planning a long trip

Post by shedthestate »

Hi All

Sorry for the long, initial post

I don't own a Morris Minor yet, but I will be getting one in the future.
I want to do a nice long drive in a Morris Minor, preferably, in one born in 1966, but that is not crucial,
The trip I want to do is over 11,000 miles long, and is a mixture of roads and gentle off-road.
Top of my list is a van, but they are becoming few and far between, and probably not within my budget.
Second is probably, a two door saloon, or maybe a traveller is it is totally hanging and needs completely re-building,
I want to keep the vehicle as original as possible. I want to do the trip in a Moggy, not a moggy shaped, modern car.
I am open to modifications that will improve safety, and increase the chances of me making it to the end.
So, things like brakes, suspension, half shafts, diff etc, but not a different engine. I might concede to a comfy seat.

The challenge starts as soon as I get my Morris. I will have a very limited budget, but I do have all the skills and tools to do a complete restoration. The whole of the body shell will be stripped, and all welding will be undertaken, including strengthening where appropriate.
Every nut and bolt will be replaced, and all ancillaries will be stripped and rebuilt.
This all sounds like an awful lot of work, but I want to be certain that the vehicle is in the best shape possible, and that I understand, every aspect of the vehicle, so I can maintain and repair the vehicle, on the trip.

The trip itself, is not a race, or and organised event. It is just a challenge I have set myself. My whole life is on hold at the moment, while I care for an elderly relative with Alzheimer's. I cannot go anywhere, or do anything, and so I need a dream to keep me going through this challenging time.
I can store, and work on the car, at the relative's house, so I can be there for her, but also have an escape for some me time. The garage and the project will be my sanctuary.

Because of the fact I have to spend so much time caring, I have little time for earning a lot of money. Hence, the small budget.

So, once the vehicle is done, and my caring duty is fulfilled, I plan to drive from the UK to the places most North, South, east and West in Europe.
At the moment that looks like, driving from Cornwall to Dover, through the tunnel, Belgium, Germany, Poland, and up through the baltic states. to Finland via Russia and then up to Nordkapp in the north of Norway.
From Nordkapp, I will head out towards the Ural mountain to the city of Ufa in mid Russia.
Then down through Russia, Georgia, Turkey, the Balkans, Italy, France and Spain until I reach Tarifa.
Then onto Portugal to Cabo da Roca, then home.

Ant advice would be really appreciated

Obviously, I am in the very early stages of this challenge. I don't have a vehicle, and I have an open-ended commitment to care for my relative, but I have to have this to dream about and to plan, or I will go mad.

It may never happen, but let's pretend it is, and it will be happening in the very near future.

Indulge me.
unclealec
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Planning a long trip

Post by unclealec »

What route do you have in mind for the second week, after you have done that one mentioned above?

Whereabouts in the country are you?
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The advise I would offer is to get the vehicle, (whenever you decide to buy one ) then concentrate on what you are describing as a major restoration. In your situation, the rebuild will likely take a few years, that alone will stop you going mad, or perhaps drive you mad ! So comments on the trip are pointless at this stage, so much can change over that time, not least your mind! We could go into all sorts of detail at this moment in time, only to find, in your own words ‘it may never happen’ Let us know when you get the Minor.

unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

I like the sound of this.

I can see how a restoration would be therapeutic for the OP just now.

I remember having ambitions, plans, and dreams. It was good.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I wish you all the best with your project. I think it is a very good idea to have a creative outlet to help your own mental health when you are a carer for somebody with Alzheimer's.

As Les says, the focus at this stage should be the selection of the vehicle and then the restoration.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
shedthestate
Minor Friendly

Post by shedthestate »

unclealec wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:03 pm What route do you have in mind for the second week, after you have done that one mentioned above?

Whereabouts in the country are you?
Ha ha. I already have the second day in the planning stage too. This is just a warm up :D :D :D

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I do appreciate it.

I am based in sunny funny Cornwall.

Paul
shedthestate
Minor Friendly

Post by shedthestate »

les wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:21 pm The advise I would offer is to get the vehicle, (whenever you decide to buy one ) then concentrate on what you are describing as a major restoration. In your situation, the rebuild will likely take a few years, that alone will stop you going mad, or perhaps drive you mad ! So comments on the trip are pointless at this stage, so much can change over that time, not least your mind! We could go into all sorts of detail at this moment in time, only to find, in your own words ‘it may never happen’ Let us know when you get the Minor.
Thanks Les
I know what you are saying. Really what I am looking for, is, what modifications should I be considering, that will be easier to do as part of a larger restoration, but will still mean I own a Morris Minor at the end of it.

Paul
shedthestate
Minor Friendly

Post by shedthestate »

svenedin wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:13 pm I wish you all the best with your project. I think it is a very good idea to have a creative outlet to help your own mental health when you are a carer for somebody with Alzheimer's.

As Les says, the focus at this stage should be the selection of the vehicle and then the restoration.

Stephen
Thanks Stephen
I agree, but I do need the bigger dream, to keep me going.

Paul
shedthestate
Minor Friendly

Post by shedthestate »

unclealec wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:58 pm I like the sound of this.

I can see how a restoration would be therapeutic for the OP just now.

I remember having ambitions, plans, and dreams. It was good.
Never let go of your dreams Alec :D

Paul
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

Good plan. Here are a few thoughts I have to start the ball rolling. The best thing about a Minor is that it can be easily fixed almost anywhere in the world that has a decent postal service (probably not Russia). The longest run I did in my Traveller was a five country trip to West Germany and back. We had no problems at all. When you restore your vehicle of choice you would be best to think of long term reliability and simplicity. It would be imposable to guard against all possibilities. We did a repeat trip to Germany in a more modern Astra. We parked up for the night in Gent. The next morning the car would not start. The ignition switch would not recognise the chip in the key fob. Try fixing that. Take a work shop manual and any garage should offer you some help. You may be supprised on how helpfull people will be when you need help. I have heard of people taking large amounts of spare parts carburetter, dynamo, starter motor, distributer etc. Just take escentuals such as points, plugs, fan belt and a few tools and hope for the best. Good luck with your ambitious plan and let us know when you go.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

In terms of sympathetic modifications without making a modern car...
Check the car thoroughly for the structure and repair/replace as necessary.
Fit poly bushes instead of rubber for all suspension.
For the colder climates, use an uprated heater and heated front and rear screens - these are a vital safety aid to help you see out.
Use hardened half shafts.
I would fit disc brakes on the front to reduce maintenance and cope with long downhill runs, but that may be too much for you.
Once the car is ready, take it for a good shake-down run in this country before you head off for the epic challenge.

Good luck, it is something for which to aim.
shedthestate
Minor Friendly

Post by shedthestate »

King Kenny wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:03 pm Good plan. Here are a few thoughts I have to start the ball rolling. The best thing about a Minor is that it can be easily fixed almost anywhere in the world that has a decent postal service (probably not Russia). The longest run I did in my Traveller was a five country trip to West Germany and back. We had no problems at all. When you restore your vehicle of choice you would be best to think of long term reliability and simplicity. It would be imposable to guard against all possibilities. We did a repeat trip to Germany in a more modern Astra. We parked up for the night in Gent. The next morning the car would not start. The ignition switch would not recognise the chip in the key fob. Try fixing that. Take a work shop manual and any garage should offer you some help. You may be supprised on how helpfull people will be when you need help. I have heard of people taking large amounts of spare parts carburetter, dynamo, starter motor, distributer etc. Just take escentuals such as points, plugs, fan belt and a few tools and hope for the best. Good luck with your ambitious plan and let us know when you go.
Great advice. Thank you.
I have noticed, that there are Morris Minor clubs all over Europe. I will make contact with each of them, and hopefully, meet up in each of the countries.
Paul
shedthestate
Minor Friendly

Post by shedthestate »

simmitc wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:27 pm In terms of sympathetic modifications without making a modern car...
Check the car thoroughly for the structure and repair/replace as necessary.
Fit poly bushes instead of rubber for all suspension.
For the colder climates, use an uprated heater and heated front and rear screens - these are a vital safety aid to help you see out.
Use hardened half shafts.
I would fit disc brakes on the front to reduce maintenance and cope with long downhill runs, but that may be too much for you.
Once the car is ready, take it for a good shake-down run in this country before you head off for the epic challenge.

Good luck, it is something for which to aim.
Thank you for the great suggestions. I like the idea of the heated screens.
I think disc brakes might be essential for such a trip
I will do the most North, South, East and West of Britain, as a shake down cruise.
Paul
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Joy Rainey and Trevor Hulks took a Minor from London to Sydney in the 2004 marathon..
The car was well prepared by Trevor and the car stood up to the journey well.
There is a description in chapter 10 on how the car was prepared and chapter 11 describes the journey as the greatest adventure of all.
All can be read in the book - Joy Rainey - Fast Lady - My life in Motorsport ISBN 1 84425 038 5.
Also read the book 'Himalayan Minor' for details on Minor preparation for long distance rallies.
Publisher - Speedwell Books - ISBN 1 87006 800 9.

shedthestate
Minor Friendly

Post by shedthestate »

philthehill wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:16 pm Joy Rainey and Trevor Hulks took a Minor from London to Sydney in the 2004 marathon..
The car was well prepared by Trevor and the car stood up to the journey well.
There is a description in chapter 10 on how the car was prepared and chapter 11 describes the journey as the greatest adventure of all.
All can be read in the book - Joy Rainey - Fast Lady - My life in Motorsport ISBN 1 84425 038 5.
Also read the book 'Himalayan Minor' for details on Minor preparation for long distance rallies.
Oh, Wow, thanks Phil
I will see if I can find the books
Paul
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

[/quote]

Never let go of your dreams Alec :D

Paul
[/quote]

I didn't. They let go of me.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Travelling is better than arriving !!

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Whereabouts in Cornwall are 'ee, Paul? Truro/Falmouth is a bit vague - unless you live on the branch line train! :lol:
I'm in Truro itself.
Cheers,
Pete
shedthestate
Minor Friendly

Post by shedthestate »

Hi Pete
I live just outside Probus, work mainly in Truro (Newham), and care for my Mother in law, who lives in Falmouth.

So this means I spend most of my time, travelling between those three places.

Paul
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I see. Thanks. PM sent......