Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Diff Oil Amount.

Post by Chief »

I have a 1963 1098 with the diff that has the filler plug directly facing you when looking from the rear bumper.

I've drained the diff, and replaced the oil.

However, according to the capacity charts the diff takes 0.84 litres, while others say to just fill it until it weeps from the filler hole.

I put in the whole 1 litre bottle, and it never weeped out from the filler (and yes, it wasn't coming out of the drain hole :wink: ).

I take it 1 litre is ample and that different diffs didn't take different quantities of oil?

simmitc

Re: Diff Oil Amount.

Post by simmitc »

I've never seen a book in litres :-? According to the manuals I have, you need 1.5 pints which converts to 0.852 litres. However, filling until it reaches the bottom of the filler hole is what I've always done, and it's worked OK for 46 years with no ill effects 8)
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

simmitc wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:36 am I've never seen a book in litres
True, I'd converted to metric, was still 0.0152l out mind :D
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I actually cannot find the oil capacity of the later rear axle in the BMC workshop manual. It is listed as 1.5 pints (0.85 litres) for the series MM and Series II but does not seem to be listed for later cars.

My Haynes manual says 1.75 pints (0.99 litres) for the 1098cc and 948cc Morris 1000 rear axle. I changed the oil in my rear axle a few weeks ago and it took just a little over 1 litre to fill to overflowing. It was fortunate that I had a second litre bottle......

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
DaveTheNose
MMOC Member: No

Post by DaveTheNose »

Last week I had an oil replacement orgy and changed all the oils. I used just under a litre of oil for the diff until it overflowed. I have a 69 Traveller with the later diff type, so it seems Haynes was spot on with .99 litre.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I guess the oil I couldn't get out of the syringe would have made the final amount up to the 0.99l for it to start overflowing (wasn't much, maybe a soup spoon at most).

Still, considering only 0.5l came out in the first place, there's definitely a good amount in now :)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Not long ago I noticed a strange whirring noise when setting off from stationary, which then disappeared on driving faster but which also occurred when cornering. It was difficult to pinpoint but seemed to come from the rear. I wondered about the level of the diff oil so topped it up - it didn't take a huge amount but it did stop the whirring noise! 8)
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

When I change my diff oil, I jack the rear of the car up to get better access - thus the filler plug will be angled a bit higher than if the car was level - perhaps this explains why a bit more oil can be added before it weeps out of the filler plug!