Driving Me Crazy TV Programme.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Driving Me Crazy TV Programme.

Post by Blaketon »

There is currently a series on TV called Driving Me Crazy. I saw the first programme aimed at the drivers of 4 wheel drive vans (Whoops should that be cars). Whilst I agree that some of the so called Chelsea Tractor drivers are rather vain, they are no more vain than any other fashion concious person (If someone does a lot of towing etc and runs, for example a Land Rover, I would not refer to them as a Chelsea Tractor driver!). I am not going to delve into the environmental pros and cons or matters of personal choice, as this isn't really my point!

I wasn't overly impressed with the first programme (Didn't think I would be) so didn't watch the second which concerned the over 70s driving. From what I have heard, the programme only showed bad drivers over 70, which is hardly a balanced way to present an argument. I accept that if somebody is medically unfit to drive, then they should stop, whatever their age. However reaching 70 does not mean that you become medically unfit to drive! It is quite likely that the over 70s who are bad drivers, were bad drivers when they were a lot younger! I am nowhere near 70 myself and so have no direct vested interest here (For the present at least).

My point is that programmes such as these can lead to stereotyping! We've all been through it as young drivers. It is often assumed that all young drivers are idiots. Some of them (Maybe many of them) are, but not all of them! As a young driver I once witnessed a car mounting a roundabout due to excessive speed and incompetent driving - the driver looked to be at least 65 - but was driving as if he was a "Boy racer". If I were to suggest, for example, that BMW drivers are arrogant brats, I would be wrongly pointing the finger at all the ones who are not so afflicted (I recently heard that a survey had been carried out that put BMW drivers above "White Van Drivers" in the most disliked stakes).

I wonder whether there will be a Driving Me Crazy programme, now or in the future, about historic vehicle owners? If so, my message to the producers of such programmes is that if you want to present a case designed to have a positive impact on road safety and traffic density/pollution, you need to target the majority and what they do, not simply minorities (Who in our case account for 0.1% of traffic pollution and I suspect RTAs). I would also hope that a balanced view would be presented and not one designed to create a scapegoat.
gairlochrosie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by gairlochrosie »

I think that was the same show I watched the other night where I watched at the very end, the worst example of driving from the clown that was presenting the show. With the camera man standing outside her car filming her for the closing of the show...she jumped into her car, passed some greasy stupid remarks of how terrified she was of older drivers (70 +) on the road and that they should be retested before being allowed a licence to continue driving...... anyway, she switched on the engine, clicked on the indicator and roared off......and guess what????? SHE had not put her Seatbelt on, nor did she check her mirror before signaling to move off....and also, never checked her Blind Spot!!!!! as she moved off she was staring into the camera.....(think I need a pill at this point)!Who is kidding who here about bad driving. I think we should all be looking out for her on the road!!!! I just hope someone taped it...just to confirm that what I'm saying is true. I just could not believe what I saw (or think I saw)....oh well, maybe I'm dreaming again.....someone help! :roll:
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

I refused to watch that programme simply because it was designed either to shock or inflate overused stereotypes.

John Sergeant should have had more sense than to put his name to such a vacuous load of twaddle.

A Balanced view on ITV1? Ha!
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
tony22
Minor Friendly

Post by tony22 »

gairlochrosie wrote:I think that was the same show I watched the other night where I watched at the very end, the worst example of driving from the clown that was presenting the show. With the camera man standing outside her car filming her for the closing of the show...she jumped into her car, passed some greasy stupid remarks of how terrified she was of older drivers (70 +) on the road and that they should be retested before being allowed a licence to continue driving...... anyway, she switched on the engine, clicked on the indicator and roared off......and guess what????? SHE had not put her Seatbelt on, nor did she check her mirror before signaling to move off....and also, never checked her Blind Spot!!!!! as she moved off she was staring into the camera.....(think I need a pill at this point)!Who is kidding who here about bad driving. I think we should all be looking out for her on the road!!!! I just hope someone taped it...just to confirm that what I'm saying is true. I just could not believe what I saw (or think I saw)....oh well, maybe I'm dreaming again.....someone help! :roll:
yes you are right no checks at all just drove off :roll:
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Driving me crazy.

Post by Blaketon »

My father (Aged 69) watched the programme and mentioned that the presenter (Of the over 70s programme) wasn't driving very well! Clearly he wasn't the only one to notice.
gairlochrosie
Minor Fan

Post by gairlochrosie »

:o Thanks Tony22....I just could not believe what I had seen....so I was not dreaming afterall....(puts pills back in the drawer) :wink:
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

All in all a big success then - thats assuming the aim of the program itself was to 'Drive you crazy' :lol:
What would Macgyver do..?
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Driving Me Crazy

Post by Blaketon »

I just had a look in the TV listings and the programme doesn't seem to be on this week! Surely they haven't run out of "Square pegs" to condemn. Maybe the producer has been reading this forum?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Whilst I agree that some of the so called Chelsea Tractor drivers are rather vain, they are no more vain than any other fashion concious person
So where do I fit then Blaketon I am not fashion concious :( or vain :-? but drive a 4 x 4 and a Moggie, and I dont use the 4 x 4 for inner city school runs either :D so what does that make my catagory :wink:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Driving me crazy

Post by Blaketon »

(If someone does a lot of towing etc and runs, for example a Land Rover, I would not refer to them as a Chelsea Tractor driver!).
I didn't say there weren't genuine reasons for using them. My main point was aimed at the programme.
Furrtiv
Minor Fan

Post by Furrtiv »

As someone who likes Landies (old ones, admittedly) I am getting rather tired of the 4x4 bashing (not on here, mind, on other forums and in the public's attitude at large). Do poeple not realise that modern 4x4s are quite fuel-efficient for their size? And that a lot of the criticisms re; height, size, impact, etc, could also be levelled at the bulky people carriers that seem to have escaped the 4x4-haters' rage?
Anyhoo, didn't watch any of the programmes as I too believed that they would just have been sensationalist anti-something propaganda. Funnily enough, I'd like to see regular health checks for drivers, but I'd like to see this for all drivers of all ages, not just the lederly. that way we wouldn't have to rely on people's honesty to admit that they have problems with driving.
Re-employed!:D
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Driving Me Crazy

Post by Blaketon »

Oddly enough when I chose to buy a Traveller I had toyed with the idea of a SWB "Series" Land Rover (My garage door has just enough height to get one in!). At the time I had a need do some slightly heavier towing but on balance, that need did not outweigh the benefit of greater fuel economy (And less garage space taken up) of buying the Traveller.

I agree that even the biggest 4X4s are no more gas guzzlers than say a Jensen Interceptor. If there is an environmental impact to motoring, one aspect is often overlooked. Consumption for consumptions sake (See below). The "Landies (old ones, admittedly)", have been around for a long time and have maximised the return on the resources that built them - just like all our Minors! This no doubt helps to offset the fact that they may do a few MPG less than a modern 4X4. I am also told that they are tougher and more capable off road than many moderns - but this is only what I am told?

The sad part about motoring is that so many people, who profess to like cars, are more interested in the status the car gives them than in the car itself (Without wishing to knock Reliant Robins, if they were available and marketed in a way so as to make them "Aspirational products", I would not be surprised if they sold well instead of being laughed at). Sadly once the status symbol gets too old, it decends into bangerhood and bean tins. The "Chelsea Tractor" drivers are part of this but are by no means unique. I believe that the complicated electronics in modern vehicles is going to aggravate this phenomenon. Scrap yards no longer seem to be full of old rusty shells. Many of the vehicles seem relatively new and are sometimes there due to a relatively minor but expensive fault, eg head gasket.

We seem to have gone a little "Off topic", considering my original point was aimed at a silly TV programme. However, I was half expecting a programme to be produced aimed at us. Let's hope (Even if in vain) that, if a programme is ever made about historic vehicle drivers, it is based on fact rather than preconceptions.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Historic vehicles are more safely driven than any other category- thats why we get the cheapest insurance! I think young men and illegal drivers are the worst- the illegals the very worst. 1/3 of all cars caugh on camera jumping red lights are simply not on the DVLA data bases.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage