Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: When grinding, wear eye protection

Post by alanworland »

I can second that having had my head clamped in a frame and my eye being attacked with a scalpel (in a good way!)
Not something you want to repeat and my stained cornea did eventually lose the rust stain!

Alan
The Scotmoose
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by The Scotmoose »

Well there it is - We have all this great advice on looking after yourselve when welding, grinding, cutting. What did I do yesterday?? Yep, you've got it in one - I was merrily cutting through the master cylinder bolts on the moggy (which has neen put on the wrong way round by a previous owner and would not budge using sockets, spanners, hammers and lots of swearwords) and my grinder, which was fitted with a cutting disc decided to bite me. I now have an 1.5" deep cut to index finger after it skidded off bolt. 3 paper stitches and a dressing later and all was good (I had visions of not being able to do V sign, with my left hand. Master cylinder now in place and brakes to bleed. Moral of story 1 wear proper safety gear and 2 fit the freakin' bolts in the right way! :D
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Sorry to hear about your accident. Wishing you a speedy recovery. The correct way round for those bolts is for the special thin head to be on the torsion bar side. The correct way is the very awkward way in this case. If the bolts are on the wrong way round they are much easier to remove but the torsion bar could hit the nuts and get damaged. If the torsion bar is scratched or gouged it could fail catastrophically. That is why the bolts are the way round that they are.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

The Scotmoose wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:10 pm Well there it is - We have all this great advice on looking after yourselve when welding, grinding, cutting. What did I do yesterday?? Yep, you've got it in one - I was merrily cutting through the master cylinder bolts on the moggy (which has neen put on the wrong way round by a previous owner and would not budge using sockets, spanners, hammers and lots of swearwords) and my grinder, which was fitted with a cutting disc decided to bite me. I now have an 1.5" deep cut to index finger after it skidded off bolt. 3 paper stitches and a dressing later and all was good (I had visions of not being able to do V sign, with my left hand. Master cylinder now in place and brakes to bleed. Moral of story 1 wear proper safety gear and 2 fit the freakin' bolts in the right way! :D
You need one of these warni gs for your angle grinder
IMG-20240312-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20240312-WA0001.jpg (31.46 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Hope it heals ok :tu1:
Regards Bill
The Scotmoose
Minor Friendly

Post by The Scotmoose »

Thanks guys - I heal quickly (which is just as well). Great sign! I should get a sticker of that to put on my grinder. I found getting the new bolts reasonably easy to get back in place. I used a small crowbar to move torsion bar a bit and got them in ok. Bleeding is a pain but pedal getting better each time I do it and it is already way better than it was before I renewed everything.