Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Idral
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Lost nut

Post by Idral »

I was just removing the front seatbelts and the nut holding the part of the seatbelt under the rear right window fell and down into the depths of the wing, I have probed but can't find it, any ideas how to save it?

Thanks
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Wait a year or two for the sills to rust away and then catch the nut as it falls out under the car.

Joking apart, assume you are talking 2 door saloon, so remove the trim panel and just poke around. A small torch and mirror on a stalk might help, as might one of those flexible small claw tools - you can't ise a magnet as it will stick to the car (unless it's all filler!). You could just use another nut and put up with the rattling that will eventually come as the old one rolls around.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

This happened to my sis when she was having inertia belts fitted.
Fortunately it was being done by Pete Morris in Colchester, so he made it into a 10 minute job (instead of the original 5 minutes) and welded in a new nut on a plate from the inside of the car!
Very neat job and neat welding, and all done with no fuss.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I did this last week with a screwdriver and I can't get it out!! :evil:
Tried a magnet on a flexible stick which does reach in ok without clinging to the sides but it's not strong enough to grab it.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Its not a very good magnety thing then.......... mine picks up adjustable spanners!!!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Hmmm thanks for the warning as I am due to change my belts for inertia ones so it looks like a bit of cloth shoved in the offending area beforehand.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Good idea Kevin, depending on the job, I used to sometimes tie spanners to my wrist in anticipation of severe "dropsy."

I learnt my lesson when serving apprenticeship. i was told to fit the inspection covers onto a just completely overhauled locomotive traction gearbox. All went well until the final top cover :( yes I dropped a 1/4 Whitworth spanner into the hole and heard it clatter all the way to the bottom. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) others heard it too. The whole thing had to be taken apart again to retreive the spanner :cry: . I would have owned up anyway :-? .

I remember receiving one of the most horrific rollickings of my life from the foreman.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I remember receiving one of the most horrific rollickings of my life from the foreman.
Like we did when we were in the fitting shop and found the pnuematic riveter was good for playing darts with :evil:
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

I'm sure "dropsy" is a known illness/affliction, my apologies if the use of the term has caused offence to anyone but I've always known it's use to be more lighthearted and flippant, limited to anyone who can't stop dropping things.

And yes I've mentione delsewhere we've done or still do some silly and dangerous things in spite of all the warnings. :( eg. cooling fans, rivet guns. I suppose nail guns are now better for darts :-?
Idral
Minor Friendly

Post by Idral »

I have already tried probing, fishing with magnets (found plenty of rust), hooking and sticking my hand down there which just dosen't fit (even with the help of WD40).

Found a similar nut and used that instead but now having trouble sleeping. Keep thinking how to get it out, all lonely down there in the dark :( gunna have to open it all up again tommorow, ITS DRIVING ME NUTS(excuse the pun).

HELP!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

assume you are talking 2 door saloon, so remove the trim panel and just poke around
that will allow access to stuff sitting on the outer sill. You'll only get the nut that way if the boxing plate has been destroyed by rot... Then you really would sleep badly.
To get at where the nut should have fallen, remove the kick plate and poke around throught the holes in the boxing plate. (or remove the kick plate and do some emergency stops - the nut might end up towards the front of the sill)
I wish a stray nut was all that needed fixing on my cars :-D
Last edited by rayofleamington on Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cam

Post by Cam »

I wish a stray nut was all that needed fixing on my cars
Ditto! :D
Idral
Minor Friendly

Post by Idral »

Sounds like a good plan, one problem ,what is the kick plate and how do I remove it?????

Ta
edjones
Minor Friendly

Post by edjones »

I had this problem myself, twice! It happened last week with a 13mm socket. Luckily (!) the sill was rusty so I fished it out fairly easily. Last year I dropped a pair of mole grips down the other side. These were eventually rescued with a picture hook on the end of a piece of string. You may also find that a bent coat hanger could help.

Good luck :-?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Nuts, Sockets and Molegrips, maybe we should have a health warning about this as there must be lots that have fallen in there and later led to some interesting noises.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

Having pickup I haven't had this problem but I did have a young cousin (we virtually NEVER see them) who decided to put my pocket knife in the glove box of my stripped down cab (no liner) it slid across and down that gap between the kick panel at your feet and innergaurd! he chuckled and walked out!

Very fortunately I hadn't bolted the cab onto the chassis yet, so a few days later (before I forgot) I got three of us to take the cab section outside and tip it upsidedown and roll it round till it came back out! Was fairly easy but.....
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

take the cab section outside and tip it upsidedown and roll it round till it came back out! Was fairly easy but.....
Nice understatement Fweddy :o
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Just think if you drop enough bits you can sell the car with an integral toolkit..........
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics