Semi, Three Quarter and Fully Floating Wheel Hubs

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Semi, Three Quarter and Fully Floating Wheel Hubs

Post by millerman »

Mogwai, interesting links.

Your motor engineering is backed up by a good theoretical background and understanding the reason for design, sadly a lot of people don't know 'why'
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Semi, Three Quarter and Fully Floating Wheel Hubs

Post by IaininTenbury »

interesting links! Like being a motor engineering student at college all over again. Was a long time back now, I may even buy the book as a refresher!
Well explained and obviously why an MM has such beefy looking halfshafts being a semi floating axle and why the Minor axles are so much lighter.
Allways felt uncomfortable when I've seen Minor axles used on trailers with halfshafts and diffs removed. I know its only a trailer and just rolls along but even so...
Also explains why an MOT tester rarely spots a worn rear wheel bearing unless its noisy or rough, but when you then take the halfshaft out and try the wheel back on theres loads of play.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!