SW5/Minispares equivalent, pros & cons?

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

SW5/Minispares equivalent, pros & cons?

Post by chrisryder »

I popped into minispares today and asked about cam choices. i was asking what cam they'd recommend for a driveable 1275, and the consensus was that a 266 kent would be fine, and that if i was feeling brave i could get away with a 276. i'd pretty much decided on the 266 when he threw a spanner in the works and said 'have you thought about the SW5 or the minispares 'evolution' one?'. They're much cheaper it seems.

Has anyone got any experience, good or bad, of either the SW5 or evolution equivalent?

This is intened for a 1275 midget engine, but also, i could put one in the 1147cc midget engine that'll have a 12G940 head, i guess it'll be fine in both?
Longdog
Minor Fan

Re: SW5/Minispares equivalent, pros & cons?

Post by Longdog »

Hi, I have just built a 1380 MED engine and went for the 266 which on first drive only last night is very impressive in terms of torque even at running in taking it easy pace. I used to have an SW5 but could not get rid of it fast enough as it makes the engine VERY tappetty. The reason for this is that the cam profile has very steep opening and closing ramps which do make a responsive engine but give a considerable rattle to go with it. Swiftune do hint at increased valve train noise in their advertising in fairness.
At the end of the day cam choice is subjective but there is no substitute for sewing machine running IMO.
[sig]6530[/sig]
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

Oh and before anybody says an MG Metro cam is the same as a 266 it is not, the 266 is optimised from this basic design which is very good. Valve opening and closing timings do not give the whole picture of cam performance.
[sig]6530[/sig]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

thanks longdog. tappetiness is something close to my heart aswell, and i dont fancy going for roller rockers or rubber timing belts to get rid of it!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Certainly don't get roller or high lift rockers - and the rubber belt is just asking for trubble....... I would use a 276 cam in a good 1275. And certainly not the first time I have heard stories about the SW5...... beware if you buy a cam for a small bore engine with the intention of fitting a 940 head......if it has high lift it will be difficult to sink the valves sufficiently without causing masking. No such worries on a 1275 of course.
ImageImage
GeorgeHurst
Minor Addict

Post by GeorgeHurst »

Sorry to potentially hijack this thread but Longdog hinted at the MG Metro cam and reminded me of a question I have about it.

I am building a 1275 Ital engine, with big valve, ported 940 head, HIF44, LCB etc - I have a MG Metro cam at the moment, but am looking to build a torquey engine as acceleration is more my thing than top speed - any thoughts as to how the 266 / 276 compares to the Metro with this in mind?
[sig]3218[/sig]<br/>
'Morris' - 1966 1098cc 2dr salloon
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The MG cam will be ideal then - designed by Rover to give good torque - without high engine-busting revs !
ImageImage
GeorgeHurst
Minor Addict

Post by GeorgeHurst »

Super dooper! Cheers :)
[sig]3218[/sig]<br/>
'Morris' - 1966 1098cc 2dr salloon
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

For what it's worth George I am very pleased with the 266 as I have had a chance to put some more miles on the new engine. For me the 276 enters the torque band higher up so was a non starter. Ask yourself which rev band you spend most of your time in. 266 comes into power band at about 1200 rpm so gives nice low down grunt and is timed in at 106 degrees.Nice smooth idle too, which is not so much the case with the 276, probably irritating when sat in traffic. Standard metro cam timing is 110 degrees but can be advanced by 3 (107) to give better torque.
Hope this is of use, Andy.
[sig]6530[/sig]