Fiat temperature sensor

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
fsk658
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Fiat temperature sensor

Post by fsk658 »

Does anyone know the thread size of the Temperature sensor unit fitted into the top of the cylinder head on the 1500cc fiat twincam engine, Thanks John
Jefftav
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Fiat temperature sensor

Post by Jefftav »

fsk658
Minor Friendly

Post by fsk658 »

Thanks very much Jefftav. Found the size on Guy Croft racing it is 3/8 BSP which did surprise me, I thought it would be a metric thread. Now I can get a new smiths sender unit for my Pick up.
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

I don't know if it works yet as I haven't ran my twin cam engine for long enough but I have fitted a cappillary type of temp guage. It came with various adaptors one of which fitted the twin cam head.
wfb

Post by wfb »

I've got am mgb/1800 marina one fitted to my twin cam and it works perfectly.
fsk658
Minor Friendly

Post by fsk658 »

Thanks guys, I have been using my smiths guage for years, but with the Fiat temp sender it works but I am not happy with the higher end of the scale, so to be on the safe side I will get the proper sender to match the guage unit now I know the thread size. I have the capilery one in my 1098 saloon and that is very accurate and works very well.
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

If you've the old temp sensor you could pull the plastic out and tap the brass for the correct sensor for your guage if it's smaller. I did this with Skoda guage to get the matching sensor
fsk658
Minor Friendly

Post by fsk658 »

Update on my temp sensor. The thread size in the cylinder head of my engine is a Metric thread 16mm x 1.5 mm Not a BSP as I was told. I have located an adaptor to fit with an 1/8 NPT internal thread to suit the new sender unit. John