Running Hot

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Running Hot

Post by chrisryder »

Greetings, it's been 7,500ish miles since i rebuilt my engine, and the whole time my temperature gauge has been reading a little on the high side. It's the same gauge and sender that was in there before the engine swap, and the gauge always used to be slap bang on the N for normal. since rebuilding the engine the temp gauge has always been just above N, with the needle just past it so that i can read the whole of the 'N' clearly. It's definately hot, if i put my hand in the air stream from the heater when it's up to temp, i can't hold my hand there for very long before reaching my (very high) pain threshold!

As is often the way, a lot of things got changed when i did the engine so i don't know what's done it! I removed the fan blades and fitted a kenlowe fan instead, and i also fitted a LCB exhaust manifold and a water heated inlet manifold in place of the cast marina manifold i had fitted before. The other thing i fitted was a new twin core rad, so that should be cooling plenty!

Since this, in a bid to cool it down, I have changed the thermostat for a brand new 82 degrees one, still with no improvement. The timing and mixture are correct, and no ammount of adjusting either seems to affect the running temperature. I've also refitted the oil cooler that came fitted to the car, that hasn't had much affect either!

I'm thinking my extra heat could be down to the heated inlet manifold, it certainly feels warm to touch after a long run! Would the temperature of the charge affect engine temp? or just reduce power like i'm sure i'm about to be reminded? The only other thought i had is that the LCB is throwing a lot of heat into the engine bay, in which case i'm considering 'wrapping' the manifold. I dont think the lack of mechanical fan is causing it, as it's hot when moving quickly too.

Any ideas would be gratefully recieved, or shot down immediately :lol:
Alec
Minor Legend

Re: Running Hot

Post by Alec »

Hello Chris,

an 82 degree thermostat will run the engine quite hot as the 82 marking is the temperature at which it starts to open, so you can expect the engine to run at about 90 degees perhaps even higher depending on the ambient.
I don't believe your manifold has anything to do with the running temperature, but incorrect mixture and timing can affect it.
If the temperature stays constant and isn't slowlly creeping up, I would be thankful for a better heater. There has been debates about lagging exhaust manifolds and the general consensus is don't.

Alec
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Have you confirmed temperatures with a non-contact (infa-red) thermometer?
As long as the temp is stable and doesn't overheat, I wouldn't worry about it.
Talk slow, think fast!
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

Well it didn't overheat all winter, but i'm getting more worried now summer is approaching, especially as it involves a MInors On Tour trip! An 82C is as far as i know the standard thermostat, so i can't understand how it's causing it to run hotter than normal. my university has one of these infrared thermometers, we used it during a track day once, i may ask to use it next time i'm in!

Alec, thanks for the advice about exhaust lagging, was thinking it could be a fiddly job!

I'm tempted to bypass the heated inlet manifold just to see what effect it may have. it may not make it any cooler but it could improve power. i may make it a winter-only fixture to prevent icing!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

What colour are the plugs?
As long as they are light tan, and the car doesn't run on, I wouldn't worry about it either.

Whether you can put your hand on something isn't a very useful way of measuring engine temperatures, in human terms they are hot by nature and run best this way.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

plugs are a light tan. runs on for a second on a hot day, but on dull days it stops when i tell it :lol:

thanks for all of the input, my mind is slightly more at ease now!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Fit a 74 stat for summer use. The 'twin core rad' - may be less efficient than a standard rad - why did you do that ? The standard rad is triple core as far as I remember... and has ample cooling capacity. The lack of fan means it will run hotter too - the standard fan overcools the engine normally. Easy check - stick the fan back on!! You definitely do not want to heat the manifold - and it WILL NOT help prevent carb icing in winter anyway ! It's down stream of the carb - there is no hope of the heat travelling upstream back to the carb against the fast flowing stream of evaporating petrol and and freezing air !!!
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i'd stick the fan blade back on, but it'd make swift work of cutting a hole in my kenlowe!

i fitted the 'new' rad as the old one fell apart. and a 'new' one was almost the same price as a recon one. it may not be twin core, that was just what i recalled!

the manifold icing thing was something in my mind from the vizard book about inlet manifolds. he said the janspeed tubular one was good flowing, but not great in cold weather. i'm sure he mentioned icing, but i could have selective memory!
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Chris,

S.U. used to make a heater band to combat icing, presumably for colder climates than ours?

Alec
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

you'll be pleased to hear, i've bypassed my inlet manifold today.

[frame]Image[/frame]

results coming soon.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

In winter - the manifold heating will help to avoid 'pooling' of fuel in the manifold - but it can't hope to transfer heat back to the carb - which is where the icing occurs - at the point where the fuel vapourises as it leaves the jet. As the fuel/air mix is compressed in the cylinder - it's temperature increases to ~ 700 deg C (Combined Gas Law) anyway - so any pre-heating in the fraction of a second the mixture spends in the inlet manifold as it rushes forward into the cylinder - is pretty much insignificant....... :D
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

well the car certainly feels much 'peppier' and more powerful, and oddly more economical, in the 200 miles i've done since i bypassed the inlet.

maybe the peppiness and power are psychological, but i'm suprised by the fuel economy, i've not exactly been going gentle on her :lol: time will tell if it's just a blip or whether it is genuinely affecting economy!
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

whilst i had the head off yesterday, i took the time to change the thermostat for a cooler one. took out an 82 and fitted a 75. having just been for a short drive, on a warmish day. the temp gauge is happily in the normal zone :D

i wonder if the higher temp had something to do with the hea gasket going?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Possibly -the extra heat will obvious stress it all that bit more... Hope you have retorqued the head again after the first heat cycle.......
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

oh yes. and it'll get checked and gapped when i get to france tomorrow!