Van Roof Chop

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GDL
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Van Roof Chop

Post by GDL »

working on my van, and not sure if to roof chop the cab and van section to create a smooth flat roof line (Austin Somerset Van for example). So has anybody done this? or any thoughts (preferably constructive than offensive) There is nothing wrong with the van section even the gutters etc have no rot and the panels are good. Just looking at it seems like a chop would be good.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: Van Roof Chop

Post by MarkyB »

Quite a tricky job to deal with the pressed in shapes on the sides and get a nice looking job I'd have thought.
If it's a sound back end, sell it and get a rotten one to play with, rotten ones are quite common.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

It is a lot easier if you get a saloon roof then you do not have to weld in a section in the cab roof (or slant the pillars)

Make sure you are profeccient with the hammer and dolly and filler as getting the rear flat will require some skill!
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I've got a saloon roof sitting in my lean-to if you want it! :lol: I can't see that it would look very good even if done properly, but that's just me -- and I'm quite happy to be wrong! What else are you doing to the van while you're working on it?
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

GDL
Minor Friendly

Post by GDL »

currently doing the body work (paintwork very tatty), got an 1275 A+ engine and marina box, to fit (but might change my mind if i can get something more meaty) i will upgrade the brakes and put a set of supa slots on it, a peak and metro GT seats and put nice 2" stainless exhaust system

still undecided on the colour.......... but currently fancy apple green