diff rebuild

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lukedauvergne
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

diff rebuild

Post by lukedauvergne »

hi just a quick question
my diff has a lot of slack init. can hear it clonking as I'm setting off every time sounds terrible. wondering where this play comes from and how it can be solved? theres a bearing and seal kit on ebay at the moment which i am thinking about getting. i have no fears about undertaking the rebuild and have access to a press and people with a clue. but is there more involved than just slimly swapping the bearings and seals?
cheers
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Re: diff rebuild

Post by plastic_orange »

Cheapest option is just get another one. It will require gear and pinion renewed to get rid of play - and properly set up. You could get a diff for less than £50 and about 2 hours to change.

pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: diff rebuild

Post by bmcecosse »

It will depend if the play is in the 'diff' unit - or in the crownwheel and pinion final drive...... If the later - you may be able to close up clearance by removing shims. If in the 'diff' - then it will likely need a new pin and the bronze thrust washers under the diff gears will most likely need renewing. As PO suggests - probably a lot more cost-effective to just pick up another final drive unit complete. And take the chance to drop the ratio slightly for quieter cruising and better MPG.
The 'clonk' however may be in the propshaft U joints, or indeed in the half-shaft splines. Or may even be the axle twisting within the spring mounts (loose U bolts and/or rusted out 'perches'). Some inspection may be worthwhile to check all is well.
ImageImage