pickup ground clearance?

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
shoebone
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

pickup ground clearance?

Post by shoebone »

Hi People,
Could anybody tell me what the ground clearance is on a realativly standard pickup, and if anybody has lowered one, what is a good height without worrying about speed humps etc. I,m looking for the distance between the bottom of the chassis and the road. Many thanks.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: pickup ground clearance?

Post by MarkyB »

The exhaust and the sump are both lower than the chassis.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And the front suspension will bottom out on the inner wing stops if you lower more than ~ 1 inch.
ImageImage
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

Usually exhaust, sump and bump stops would be deciding factors but not problems I expect to encounter ... long story short, I am fabricating my own chassis and working on front suspension attachment points right now. I researched (googled) front suspension design and decided that if I wanted to use original morris parts, getting the upper and lower suspension arms to sit parallel at rest (laden) would give me better handling. I realise this is still a compromise, its not going to be a race car, but should handle better than standard ...... so, we can assume that the chassis will be the closest part of the vehicle to the ground and set up the way I describe is going to give me close to six inches ground clearance. It just sounds a bit low to me .... but maybe thats because my other car is a jeep with 19" clearance. :o
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You are exactly right......if the Minor top arms are parallel to the ground - or even slightly downward sloping into the car - then the wheel will go nicely negative on bump and have much better grip. Best to build in about 1 degree negative at rest. And take great care to make sure there is no bump steer. 6 inch clearance sounds fine - I have less than that where my exhaust pipe curls under the front chassis and it has never struck anything - yet.
ImageImage
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

Thanks for that bmc,
just the info I needed.