Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
04jhowarth
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Panda restoration.

Post by 04jhowarth »

So, found this police car with some help from the Young Members Register. £100 and it's solid. Just wondering if anyone can tell me about the colour scheme and which force it may be from. I have some suggestions that it's from London. The reg is ELB 860J.
MColes
Minor Legend

Re: Panda restoration.

Post by MColes »

Like I said that's a London car so would have been I Met police car I assume.

I'm sure Simon Mitchell could help you out with the details, he is the Club Ex-Police Registrar. Email police@mmoc dot org dot uk
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Usually bermuda blue and white[frame]Image[/frame] This one is a similar reg, an ex Met car now residing in Northern Ireland

Too many Minors so little time.....
customjob
Minor Fan

Post by customjob »

Some info you 04jhowarth, Matt Coles is right L is a London reg & B denotes it's from the registration district of Wimbledon.
The majority of Panda cars around britain at this time where of the blue and white colour scheme shown in photo. It was thought that if all Panda cars had this colour scheme nationwide it be uniformitary and easily recognisable by the public. However some forces used dark blue all over while others all white and one i beleive used beige and yellow as a trial. I may be wrong and stand to be corrected if i am. The Met beat cars didn't have a blue beacon, that i believe was only fitted to what is now called the area car.

santadawes
Minor Addict

Post by santadawes »

Both Simon Mitch and my Pandas belong to the Cardiff/South Wales police. I have a photo showing them outside Cardiff Cit Hall in 1968. I assumed that all 35 Pandas were painted in Blue & White but found out last Nov. at the NEC that 3 Pandas were painted a single color Burgundy. I was informed that the CID used them. So you will have to try and do a bit more reserch into the cars history. good Luck.
Raymond.