Unusual rear tyre wear.

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
george68
MMOC Member: No

Unusual rear tyre wear.

Post by george68 »

Hello folks I,m new to this malarky but I need some help. I recently bought a modified '68 traveller(1275 engine 5 speed ford box and tele shockers) with very harsh rear suspension, on tearing it to pieces I find both rear tyres are wearing badly on the outside, identicle amounts each side they are on Marina wheels and I can't see anything badly worn or loose that could give the wear.I think the rear springs are original so I think I'll replace sooner rather than later. Any ideas?George68
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Re: Unusual rear tyre wear.

Post by plastic_orange »

Perhaps the wheels weren't originally fitted to the rear of the car, and there could be nothing wrong with it. It's unlikely that a live rear axle would exhibit this trait unless badly bent in some way.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Is this the same Q that was asked and answered in another place ?? As PO says - a solid axle won't wear the tyres in that fashion - so it's likely they were on the front - with horribly de-ranged geometry. Check the camber and tracking of the front end urgently - before the front tyres go the same way....... Is the rear suspension 'harsh' because it is effectively sitting on the bump stops all the time ???
ImageImage
george68

Post by george68 »

Thanks chaps for your replies, I have other people say the axle could be bent, but to bend an article built that solid I think it would do a lot more damage to other parts of the car. I think maybe the wheels were fitted to the front originally as you suggest and will take the appropriate action to rectify the problem. The suspension is not sat on the bump stops, I think maybe the springs being so old they are knackered.

Ken.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

When the springs go old - they lose strength and settle down on the bump stops.... Otherwise - the suspension is very supple on a Trav.
ImageImage
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

george68 wrote:Thanks chaps for your replies, I have other people say the axle could be bent, but to bend an article built that solid I think it would do a lot more damage to other parts of the car. I think maybe the wheels were fitted to the front originally as you suggest and will take the appropriate action to rectify the problem. The suspension is not sat on the bump stops, I think maybe the springs being so old they are knackered.

Ken.

It is easy to bend an axle with welding though.......

Have you done a geometry check? Check the camber and toe. Camber is easy to do with a spirit level. Toe will take a bit more thought. Rig up 2 parallel pieces of string down each side of the car (axle stands with string draped over them) and measure to the wheel rim.