How to remove front door skins???

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kingzdjc

How to remove front door skins???

Post by kingzdjc »

Hi guys,

I have removed the rear panels (2 door saloon) with ease as the screws are visible.

However, how do you remove the front door skins? I have unscrewed the handle (leather strap), window winder etc, and the skin doesnt appear to want to come off?

Thanks
Tom and Maria
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: How to remove front door skins???

Post by Tom and Maria »

Just pull, they are held on by little clips about every 5 inches or so all around the edge.

Be careful not to rip the board, I normally start in a corner and work my way around.

Tom
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

Tom and Maria wrote:Just pull, they are held on by little clips about every 5 inches or so all around the edge.

Be careful not to rip the board, I normally start in a corner and work my way around.

Tom
So do I need to unscrew everything like the door handle, window winder etc first, as I imagine these are screwed into the actual metal door?
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Yep all the brightwork needs to come off and the pull strap, then carefully ease back one corner and pop the card off the clips. Once one comes off you can then see how the rest will follow.

Richard
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

To remove the door skins - you would normally run round the edges with an angle grinder and carefully cut away at the top where it is welded/brazed to the frame... Or are you just taking off the door trim panels.....????
ImageImage
kingzdjc

Post by kingzdjc »

bmcecosse wrote:To remove the door skins - you would normally run round the edges with an angle grinder and carefully cut away at the top where it is welded/brazed to the frame... Or are you just taking off the door trim panels.....????
Oh no, just the door trim panels! Getting concerned at frist when I read about angle grinders, thought it was a bit drastic! haha :D
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

The card/ fibreboard skins can bend and tear if you are not carefully
Best lever to get behind to pop out the L shaped metal clips ( they break too ) , is to raid the kitchen or poundshop you need a couple of thickish but flexible spatulas . ( I used a long bladed screwdriver and scrached the paintwork of the door )