is it a good idea to wax/oil the underneath of my van?

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use

do you advise treating the underneath of your car before winter?

yes - use waxoyl
100%
yes - use dinitrol and i will tell you what specific product to use
No votes
yes - use a different product though and i will tell you which one
No votes
no, don't do this - i will tell you why not
No votes

Total votes: 4

wibble_puppy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

is it a good idea to wax/oil the underneath of my van?

Post by wibble_puppy »

hi everyone!

i've just become the proud owner of a little blue van :D

i have heard that there is considerable difference of opinion as to whether one should oil or wax the underneath of one's vehicle before winter sets in.

when i had my old van LAP 477E the garage i went to always waxoyled the underneath every autumn when it was serviced.

would you recommend that i do this? and if so do you have a view on which product i should use? i gather dinitrol has been recommended by classic car mag, but which dinitrol product would this be? as that's the name of the company rather than a specific one product.

would be grateful for all advice :D

juliet xxxxxxxxxxx

proud owner of JYP 477K 8)
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Imo you should first make sure the underside is in sound condition, no rust etc. Clean as best you can, then coat with wayoyls underseal, and when dry spray on normal waxoyl, spray again after a layer of grime has settled and then at yearly/2 yearly intervals if you want.
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

yes ia gree with les, make sure the underside is absolutely rot free.

i personally prefer no waxoil, as even with these sprays you still can not see what is happening underneath, although all my previous vehicles had been waxoiled.

dinitron is another good product, you put it on with a schutz gun, you need the underbody treatment.

have it on my van under the cab and seems ok
twinkle
Minor Friendly

Post by twinkle »

:P Been out today and purchased large refill can of Waxoyl, All I can say is that ive done the old car now for years and she is as solid as ever , Dont know too much about other products but swear by the product that I mentioned.With this weather that we are getting in the north of the country its nice to know that the underside of the car is fully protected .Twinkle the Traveller and Bill. :wink:
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

My 65 has been waxoiled by the previous owner every other year and he had it 18 years and the underside has never been welded.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706