Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
carlos
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

torsion bar replacement

Post by carlos »

I've recently replaced all my suspension bushes for poly ones and managed to damage the fulcrum pin at the end of the torsion bar. I then replaced the pin and set about putting the lot together again. But I am having alot of difficulty lining up the end of the torsion bar with the hollow washer thst sits between the bush and the end of the torsion bar. Is there a specific trick to wedge the washer into the wishbone?
Last edited by carlos on Thu May 09, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: torsion bar replacement

Post by bmcecosse »

Not had any problems - I just line it up with the T bar and 'slide' the bottom arm forward on the splines till it overlaps the 'spigot'. It may help to wedge the T bar out from the chassis leg slightly with timber packing?
ImageImage
carlos
Minor Friendly

Post by carlos »

thanks will try to wedge it, but tried before and it just kept moving
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

Carlos,

Do you have a picture of what you are doing. As Roy says, it's not normally a problem to line up the torsion bar with the eye bolt cross pin and its spigot - getting the spigot out of the suspension arm in the first place can be!
Richard

carlos
Minor Friendly

Post by carlos »

it's just all moves around when tightening up, the eyebolt twists (however tight I had it ). Wedging it with wood on the torsion bar and eyebolt seperately into position might stop any travel under the tension. Have changed the torsion bar though and have read they getting "Handed" presuming this means they contort to the side they are on but if i rotate the bar surely this would offset any bend the bar might have? I really don't know?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

They do tend to be better used on the side they came off - just in case it has some memory in the bar. But none of this can affect how the lower arm slides along the splines and simply pushes over the 'spigot' cup on the end of the spindle shaft. This is the simplest thing - I just don't see how you are having any problems with it...... You are doing it with zero tension in the T bar ??? Not trying to do it with the T bar loaded up??
ImageImage