number plate

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin-unsworth2
MMOC Member: No

number plate

Post by kevin-unsworth2 »

Having purchased a 1966 minor I was thinking purchasing a plate prior to 1962,what are the given explanations i-e transferable or non transferable?can anyone please explain.Thanks
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Having purchased a 1966 minor I was thinking purchasing a plate prior to 1962,
Why ?
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

basically the rules are that you cannot put a plate on a car if the age identifier indicated a later year
(eg. you can't put an L reg plate on a B reg car)
As pre-62 plates do not have an age identifier you can put them on any car. The car with the 'donor registration' has to be MOT'd and taxed to transfer the reg.
If the reg is on a car but the logbook says 'non transferrable' then you cannot transfer that registration FROM that car to another car, but you can transfer a reg TO the car.

Non transferrable plates came around when people sold/transferred their old or cherished reg plates. This allows DVLA to allocate a 'period' registration to the car (eg. to put a 6 digit plate on to replace a sold 6 digit plate). It has to be non transferrable otherwise the owner would keep selling plates indefinately and that's not what they wanted. DVLA apply the same rules for allowing owners to keep the plate of a car that was never transfred onto the electronic logbooks - you can keep the original number but only for the heritage of the car, not for resale.
kevin-unsworth2

number plate

Post by kevin-unsworth2 »

Thanks for the explanation much appreciated.