Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lambrettalad
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

2013 national Saturday :((((

Post by lambrettalad »

I'm sure the organisers work very hard to make this show a good 'un but Sat was really disappointing .
This is meant as a constructive post

The last mile took almost an hour despite the park being massive ,one chap spoke to every car entering the show whilst cars were blocking the road upsetting the locals and the classics were overheating etc.

Once in the parking made it hard to get out :( Also only one outlet selling tea and coffee 40 min wait :( ,30 mins to get a sandwich :(

One good point :The new toilets were outstanding ,clean and lots of them :D .

I do hope lessons are learned for next year ,I've been to bigger and cheaper shows that were better organised .

I do hope Sunday is a great day ,sadly we went home . :(
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: 2013 national Saturday :((((

Post by aupickup »

i would tend to agree about the catering and tea at £1.80 was a bit over the top from one of the two caterers
it is a hard job to organise an event and again constructive point
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Unless they were let down by four or five other caterers, it was abysmal.
Some feedback about why things haven't improved would be nice.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
yo_yo

Post by yo_yo »

I agree, the catering was very poor. Also the application form should of made it clearer that it was £15 entry fee on the day even if you are a MMOC member. It just said it was £10 for members it did not mention that was just for advanced booking!
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

£15 for that ,I thought £10 was a bit rich .I wonder if a professional outfit might be worth a try ,next time ?
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

lambrettalad wrote:I'm sure the organisers work very hard to make this show a good 'un but Sat was really disappointing .

The last mile took almost an hour despite the park being massive ,one chap spoke to every car entering the show whilst cars were blocking the road upsetting the locals and the classics were overheating etc.

Once in the parking made it hard to get out :( Also only one outlet selling tea and coffee 40 min wait :( ,30 mins to get a sandwich :(

I do hope lessons are learned for next year ,I've been to bigger and cheaper shows that were better organised .

Such a big event, I don't blame you going home though ! Not enough showers,and the water ran cold all the time ! Toilets, in the main area had the water off in the early hours ! Directions to the event, spotted most in my rear view mirror. One guy, who was run off his feet selling bacon sandwiches etc. He either made so much money, on the Saturday,or was just simply Knackered,thew the towel in for Sunday. Could there not have been at least two catering company's on the day ? Fair play to the guy who turned up to replace the first caterer,he stuck it out,and his bank balance will be great tomorrow,when he pays his takings in. £1.80 for a cup of tea, £4.00 for a bacon roll. Does this club not have a responsibility, to make sure it's members,who have paid hard earned money to attend the event,don't get ripped off ? C'mon £1.80 for a drink of tea ! Fair trade ?? What about the overseas members, their presence helps so much to make it a great weekend,and it can't be cheap to get here,then pay extortionate prices on the rally field for refreshments etc. A great National,made great by the large numbers of vehicles that turned up,not just from the MMOC,other clubs as well. Someone got it totally wrong ! 100 years of Morris, one caterer, vehicles overheating whilst Qing to get in. The maths was simple, big numbers,big everything else.
frosty
Minor Friendly

Post by frosty »

1098 wrote:
lambrettalad wrote:I'm sure the organisers work very hard to make this show a good 'un but Sat was really disappointing .

Such a big event, I don't blame you going home though ! Not enough showers,and the water ran cold all the time ! Toilets, in the main area had the water off in the early hours ! Directions to the event, spotted most in my rear view mirror. One guy, who was run off his feet selling bacon sandwiches etc. He either made so much money, on the Saturday,or was just simply Knackered,thew the towel in for Sunday. Could there not have been at least two catering company's on the day ? Fair play to the guy who turned up to replace the first caterer,he stuck it out,and his bank balance will be great tomorrow,when he pays his takings in. £1.80 for a cup of tea, £4.00 for a bacon roll. Does this club not have a responsibility, to make sure it's members,who have paid hard earned money to attend the event,don't get ripped off ? C'mon £1.80 for a drink of tea ! Fair trade ?? What about the overseas members, their presence helps so much to make it a great weekend,and it can't be cheap to get here,then pay extortionate prices on the rally field for refreshments etc. A great National,made great by the large numbers of vehicles that turned up,not just from the MMOC,other clubs as well. Someone got it totally wrong ! 100 years of Morris, one caterer, vehicles overheating whilst Qing to get in. The maths was simple, big numbers,big everything else.

It might be time for the old folks with the old ideas in the MMOC to step aside
We're friendly ~ have a look see
http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

"It might be time for the old folks with the old ideas in the MMOC to step aside" Oooops! Hahahahaha
Obviously I wasn't there - but the basic thing with ANY car show is to get the cars in off the road as quickly as possible - the 'person speaking to every car' is just madness. At any show I attend - where they are doing that I just drive straight past them - shows a complete lack of common sense to stop every car. And I learned a LONG time ago to take all my provisions with me - I never buy from rip-off on-site caterers. I'm at a show to see cars and autojumble - not to stand in Qs for overpriced and undercooked food! £15 to get in.....gasp.......... I only go to shows where entry with classic car is FREE..... :roll: :lol:
Last edited by bmcecosse on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

bmcecosse wrote: shows a complete lack of common sense to stop every car.
To be fair, although there were long queues to get on to the site on Saturday the situation was reviewed and was much improved on Sunday with a lot less 'check points'.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

I think you have to expect queues going to a show. The one at Tatton park gets to 1/2 a mile long at least .I would never buy off a burger van after seeing the catering guy having a pee at the back of it :o
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

My maxim with ANY show is to arrive early - and leave early. No queuing for me...... :wink:
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Or me :lol: bargains at the autojumble :oops:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed - first port of call. But rare to find any 'bargains' these days. I usually settle for 'useful' .
ImageImage
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

frosty wrote:
1098 wrote:

It might be time for the old folks with the old ideas in the MMOC to step aside
The final quote from 'Frosty' 'down under', is probably ... deliberately ... tongue in cheek, provocative.

I don't see the comment particularly useful, as there will no doubt be a review of all comments, constructive or otherwise, from the people who actually attended.
busmanjohn
Minor Friendly

Post by busmanjohn »

We went with our 1967 2-door saloon 'Kacey' and were impressed with the event overall. It was our first MM rally as we're new owners and I think we were too excited to be in a traffic jam made almost entirely of Morris Minors to be exasperated at the delays.

We camped for one night but didn't use the showers so can't comment on those. The toilet facilites on the show site couldn't be faulted - very smart and clean.

The programme of events and layout of the site was great but the catering; oh dear. Like many posters above, we found the on-site catering abysmal. On the Sunday we brought our own food in. Why was there only one food outlet for such a large event? One snack van and one coffee vendor for so many people - why? Go to an event like the Great Dorset Steam Fair (OK, I know it's MUCH bigger) and you find food outlets on almost every corner.

Catering facilities notwithstanding, we may be tempted to attend another MM event but will feed ourselves!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reliable and durable, just like me.

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

busmanjohn wrote: Why was there only one food outlet for such a large event?
See this other thread regarding the reason for the catering problems: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50740

Eric - 1971 Traveller
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

You cant please everybody all of the time
theminorsite
Minor Fan

Post by theminorsite »

Quick bit of clarification on some points in this (and a few other related) threads on Cornbury:

Any and all feedback is of course welcome - this is after all a permanent learning exercise and we're not daft enough to imagine we have everything off pat.

The majority of criticism seems to be around catering and we can happily assure you all that we were just as disappointed as the rest of you. The problem arose when just a few weeks before the event, the caterer phoned and said that they wouldn't be able to attend and Andrew had to secure a last-minute replacement. For those who didn't get there til after he'd shut up shop and gone I can only say you were the lucky ones - his food was genuinely abysmal, which could explain why he was available at short notice! Despite the knowledge of attenders in advance he clearly couldn't work out the math and ran out of food at 3pm on Saturday, shut the door, and legged it. A few frantic phone calls secured somebody, anybody, to come on Sunday, and we got the replacement for the replacement which you all mentioned. I can't speak for the quality of their tuck because I saw the prices and decided the best way to show my displeasure at six quid for a double cheeseburger was to vote with my feet. The only way to describe that was a complete ripoff, but hey, they came when nobody else was available on just 12 hours notice.

The queues on Saturday were regrettable, but we are as always constrained by what we had. A grand total of nine people were available to get people in and parked because all the help from other clubs simply failed to materialise. We did have one volunteer who was at the very front gate and apparently they did stop many (most?) cars going through, but as soon as we heard about that we went round and got that sorted. In hindsight, perhaps we should have found a better place for him. On the other hand, we had a huge influx of vehicles at exactly the same moment, and its pretty naive to imagine that you can turn up at 10am to an event with literally thousands of cars attending and get straight through - come early, avoid the queues is the motto there really.

The vast majority of people I encountered over the weekend were understanding of the logistics involved and very happy. I make no apologies to the numpty who wandered over to me shouting abuse and references to p*ss*ps and breweries, and who seemed quite surprised when I told him in similar language that he was more than welcome to make his way to the exit gate and go somewhere else - like the rest of the team I gave up 5+ days to mark out, marshall, clear up, and generally get the event running and of course did not manage to actually see any of the event myself. None of us do that to get shouted at by someone who clearly thought he could do a lot better but was happy to let others do the work. I can't think of one of us who wouldn't LOVE to step down and see how good a job others could manage but as always with that sort of thing the people who say 'the old guard should stand aside' go strangely quiet when they're invited to take it on 8) .

As at the top of this post, we are happy to receive feedback both positive and negative, but either way do try and be constructive, and if anyone wants to join the team then we'd love to hear from you!
Mike
http://www.TheMinorSite.co.uk
Modified Best Engine Bay - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012
1st Place Modified - Kelmarsh National Rally 2012 woohoo!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Well speaking as someone who's been there, got the T shirt and sold it! - (ex-Regalia Manager) I'd like to thank you & the Team for the Rally - I know what hard work it is!. As you say the logistics of getting hundreds of cars onto site at the same time is difficult, the catering was poor, but beyond your control - bit like the weather. :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
busmanjohn
Minor Friendly

Post by busmanjohn »

LouiseM wrote:
busmanjohn wrote: Why was there only one food outlet for such a large event?
See this other thread regarding the reason for the catering problems: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50740
Now that I've seen the reasons for the catering fiasco I completely understand. If it were possible to retract one's written word I would do so. But what's published stays published and read by many.

'theminorsite' has eloquently shed light on the difficult position faced by the organisers and I apologise if my comment (among others) irked him.

On the positive side, as a newbie, we loved the whole weekend. We found the place to be full of friendly, well-behaved people. The passion and dedication of some owners in presenting their vehicles in tip top condition took my breath away! It was fascinating to see so many other models of Morris motor car represented and we learned a lot about the history and development that's occurred over the years.

My 20 year old son is now totally hooked on Minors and wants one for his first car. He really loved it when we parked our own Minor 1000 among the all the others. To see hundreds of them all lined up was just awesome. Anyone know how many Minors were there?

The marshals did a great job, the signage was clear, the loos were impressive and the commentary was good and clear. I was fascinated to learn that many Tiger Moths were built at the Cowley plant so it was very fitting that the Tiger Nine team was able to perform, despite the low cloud base. It was good to see two of them land on the small airstrip and taxi up to the show site to allow us a closer look.

Since we joined the MMOC we've been impressed with the level of support available for MM owners and being able to walk into a tent and see so many spare parts available, like groceries in a corner shop, was brilliant. We came away with a few bits and pieces, of course!

Well done, team. We'll be back.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reliable and durable, just like me.