Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Mini engine in a Minor

Post by bmcecosse »

Although I can't agree with the asking price - the Mini front subframe and engine/gearbox installation looks very neat ! I have wondered for some time if this could be done.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151064859256? ... 1423.l2649
ImageImage
LouiseM

Re: Mini engine in a Minor

Post by LouiseM »

bmcecosse wrote: the Mini front subframe and engine/gearbox installation looks very neat !
You described it as "a real lash up" a couple of weeks ago: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50769

What has changed your mind - have you been to see it?

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I did indeed - but at that time there was no underbonnet picture, and I was rather dreading what lay out of sight - assuming it was not being shown for a reason. I still don't like the timber or the trim etc - but I have to admit the subframe installation looks very neat and the engine unit looks as if it belongs in there - although I think I would have put the battery in the back. And the price is pretty much three times what I would put as a value on the car. But I think there is a demand for automatic Minors - and maybe this will suit someone nicely. How well the Mini auto trans will cope with the heavier weight is another matter - they are quite 'fragile'.
ImageImage
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Isn't the Mini auto transmission the same as used in the heavier 1100/1300? They weigh around the same as a Minor.
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I owned an auto 1100 ,went like a wet sock and the transmission always sounded like a cat fight ,not a great combo
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It was indeed used in the 1100/1300 too---but not a great success. Main problem is the shared hot oil with the engine, and the weight of the car.
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

I must say that I was impressed with those auto Minis that I have driven especially as you can use the gear box like a sequential box with left foot braking and the right on the loud pedal no requirement for heeling and toeing with this box. The cars went well and I never had any problems but you had to make sure the oil and filter were changed regularly and more often than an ordinary Mini was the better bet.