Best quality inlet manifold gasket on LCB

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gasolinescream
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Best quality inlet manifold gasket on LCB

Post by gasolinescream »

I have been sent what looks like a rather flimsy and cheap looking inlet/exhaust manifold gasket from a major supplier.This one looks paper thin and can't see it sealing very well. What are my options here? I'm running a Howley manifold and 1.5" LCB so is there a better, dare I say it competition one that is a better quality and designed for this use. I'd rather pay good money than use this cheap tat.

Many thanks Dan
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: Best quality inlet manifold gasket on LCB

Post by chrisryder »

I've never had any problems with manifold gaskets. But never come across a 'paper-thin' one either! All the ones I've seen have at least had some metal reinforcing layer within it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - it must have a metal mesh impregnated with thickish black 'cardboard'...... You don't need a 'competition' one. I built and ran plenty of 'competition' engines using the standard supply gasket.....However - they were not (as above) paper thin....
ImageImage
gasolinescream
Minor Friendly

Post by gasolinescream »

Can I ask where you are getting yours from then please? Hopefully have the engine finished and painted this week and want it back in the car. Just in time for winter :-?
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

I get mine from the David Manners Group (aka Morris Minor Centre Birmingham), as it's close by. I know you're the opposite side of birmingham to them, but if you ever pass that way (J2 M5) it's worth popping in!