Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Gold speedo type fuel gauge part 2

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Since my last post asking if anyone had a spare one of these, to which I wasn't surprised to get a low response, since I know they're like 'Hens teeth', I decided it was time to take more direct action and see if I could fix the problem myself by venturing into the (to me) unknown interior of my fuel gauges ( I had two - both at that time non-functioning...) ....
This is what I found, which I thought I'd share, as I seem to have got one working, so this is to encourage others in need to have a play, as I believe it is 'do-able' and could save both time and money......
This first shot shows the one I couldn't repair and why: For some reason one of the adjustable coils (I'm sure someone will be on here with their correct name) had rotated completely and was touching the outer casing, this in itself would be reversible but for the case that in this instance the wire linking the two coils has also snapped....
[frame]Image[/frame]
This second shot shows the rear with the nut completely removed from the peg (so I could turn it round easier) and the adjusting slots (one each side) which allows you to move the coils closer or further apart, in order to set up (or reset) your gauge. [frame]Image[/frame] This is the way round they should appear. [frame]Image[/frame]
The other problem of course with this one is the snapped link wire.... one that I am unable to fix..... fortunately for me my other one wasn't snapped.[frame]Image[/frame]
What they both had in common was that the nuts (indicated below) which secure the pegs internally, which (externally) the negative and positive feeds attached to, had worked loose and all needed tightening back up....
Please note that the soldered 'leg' shown below each nut (most noticeable on the Red (live) side) must face down and be completely clear of any contact with the outer casing or will short circuit and blow fuses (as I found out! :oops: )
NB: the red and grey parts act as a kind of non conductive shielding and if you take this apart they must go back in upon reassembly.
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
This shot shows (for those who didn't know) what happens when you move the coils along their adjustment slots, they move closer together and closer to the part of the gauge where the indicator needle attaches. I find it best to set the gauge up to a known (ie: a full tank).[frame]Image[/frame]
I guess the final ingredient when setting this back up is patience..................
Oh, and I have no idea whether the blob of solder on top of my broken coil is original or part of someone else's earlier efforts.....
My gauges, like my speedos are out of other cars which have been taken apart, so may have 'moved' around a bit and had others 'adjusting' them before me, so I guess this is where untouched cars have the advantage, in that their unmessed with units should not fail...........

Finally you need to put it back together, again time and patience can achieve an acceptable result....[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Hopefully at some point, someone will find this of some use........
For those with more knowledge than me on here: please feel free to 'correct' where necessary, as I do not know all the correct terms / names for the internal workings, so I can only produce this from the 'laymans' point of view.

I am now keeping my fingers and toes crossed that my 'working' one stays that way!!............... :P

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Gold speedo type fuel gauge part 2

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done - and a great tutorial for us! So I guess the two coils are making magnets - and carefully moving the pole pieces in and out sets up the needle movement.
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks BMC,
Yes, that would fit, though I also found that final adjustment is about patience and lots of it.
It felt like I was adjusting one side by millionths of a millimetre to get it right.......
Time for a cuppa!! :P
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

If I remember correctly (never done it), one adjuster should be set so that the needle shows full with a full tank and starts to drop after a few miles, not so that it is still reading full after 50 miles and the other should be adjusted so that the gauge reads empty with about half a gallon in the tank
[sig]3580[/sig]
Peted7202
Minor Fan

Post by Peted7202 »

Mike
Can you please repost the photos of the original post as the originals cannot be opened?

Pete
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

You are hoping? He was last active when?
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Jagnut66 AKA Mike is always active.
Anyhow it is easy to view the photos by right clicking image icon, open in new tab, gives 404 error, edit the search bar to add board. between https// and mmoc (https//board.mmoc) press enter, magically reveals the image..
Below I’ve added all the right photos but not necessarily in the right order :D
jagnut fg1.jpg
jagnut fg1.jpg (69.29 KiB) Viewed 299 times
jagnut fg2.jpg
jagnut fg2.jpg (63.63 KiB) Viewed 299 times
jagnut fg3.jpg
jagnut fg3.jpg (73.2 KiB) Viewed 299 times
jagnut fg4.jpg
jagnut fg4.jpg (66.48 KiB) Viewed 299 times
jagnut fg5.jpg
jagnut fg5.jpg (68.75 KiB) Viewed 299 times
StillGotMy1stCar