Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tezm8
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

rocker cover

Post by Tezm8 »

I was wondering if I could just change my current rocker cover which is silver with groves on the top and in my opinion not as nice as the original BMC green ones could I just buy a BMC green one and fit it straight to my engine? my car is a 1960 but the engine is OHV 1098cc. thank you in advance for any advice :D
Tezm8
Minor Friendly

Re: rocker cover

Post by Tezm8 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Of course you can! And I agree - these rocker covers are ghastly.......
ImageImage
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Indeed. That appears to be an MG Metro type slanted rocker cover. The pressed steel type will fit straight on, but beware not to buy an overtightened one, as it will leak at the seal.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

At the risk of starting another argument you need a rocker box with a vent pipe
Nothing wrong with an alloy rocker box[frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Vented YES, alloy NO!
ImageImage
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

Any A series cover will fit and obviously its personal preference as to what you fit. I have one with alloy, one without so as not to offend anyone!

Alloy covers are stiffer so are better at creating a seal. As an example, the original Lotus twin can engine had a plain alloy rocker cover but eventually went to a ribbed cover for inproved stiffness and hence less leaks. If you are worried about leaks, use Wellseal on the gasket and it'll be fine.
Last edited by alexmcguffie on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glad to be back!
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Nothing wrong with alloy rocker covers but it is all down to personal taste.
Some of the alloy rocker cover with the tuners name on them i.e Downton/Alexander/Speedwell are now worth a fortune.
If you want chav get an original metal rocker covers sprayed in faux carbon fibre :roll:.
Mike
May I suggest a 'T' piece in your breather pipe and connect the rocker cover breather to the 'T' piece. That way you will account for all or any engine fumes. Halfords do a nice 90 degree plastic bend suitable for 1/2" hose so you do not have to have a great big loop. Halfords also do the 'T' piece.

Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I would say that the vent pipe isn't strictly necessary, dependent on the engine and whether or not the existing crankcase ventilation system works properly or not.

I have an alloy rocker cover on my MG Midget 1275cc engine without a vent pipe, and haven't noticed any excess oil consumption or fumes, etc.; it has the little crankcase ventilation canister at the front of the engine with a hose going to the carb.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Tezm8
Minor Friendly

Post by Tezm8 »

thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it :) could some one please direct me to smewhere where i can buy a good quality one from? i would rather keep away from ebay if its possible thank you! :D
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

Tezm8 wrote:thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it :) could some one please direct me to smewhere where i can buy a good quality one from? i would rather keep away from ebay if its possible thank you! :D
I have a vented rocker cover in the shed if you are interested - PM for details. :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The original pressed steel rocker cover is lighter, and perfectly rigid enough to form a seal...mine doesn't leak at all! And please - no bodger gasket goo!
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

philthehill wrote: Mike
May I suggest a 'T' piece in your breather pipe and connect the rocker cover breather to the 'T' piece. That way you will account for all or any engine fumes. Halfords do a nice 90 degree plastic bend suitable for 1/2" hose so you do not have to have a great big loop. Halfords also do the 'T' piece.
That was an earlier photo, as it is on a 1275 engine that breather pipe has been plugged and a pipe from the canister to the filter valve fitted. I did try a T piece but it was no more successful at reducing the oil flow from the back of the engine than the standard system
[sig]3580[/sig]