Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Security

Post by ndevans »

Anyone got any advice to give on steering locks, wheel clamps etc? Which is best etc?
Also are better key locks available for Minors?

cheers N
(Also on the Dark Side....)
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Security

Post by bmcecosse »

No point Neil they will just smash a window if they want in. Most effective of all is a secret switch for the fuel pump - and possibly a very obvious steering wheel lock.
ImageImage
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I use a Disc Lock, very obvious from the outside and, unless you have the keys, you will need a disc cutter to get it off. That coupled with a decent alarm, with flashing LED, will hopefully deter most thieves. The secret switch is also a great idea, backs up the alarm/immobiliser.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

The stop lock pro is lighter and easier to fit than the disk lock. I think both are Thatchem 3 approved. As an alternative to the fuel pump secret off switch, or additional to it, you could also consider a switch which breaks the earth to the battery.
moggalot
Minor Friendly

Post by moggalot »

My convertible had a secret dubrey whatsit under the whassaname which simply earthed the doo-dah. One wire from the CB terminal through the dubrey to earth. Just by-passed the DST105's.
Last edited by moggalot on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

SteveClem wrote:The stop lock pro is lighter and easier to fit than the disk lock. I think both are Thatchem 3 approved. As an alternative to the fuel pump secret off switch, or additional to it, you could also consider a switch which breaks the earth to the battery.
I've got to admit the large Disc Lock is a heavy lump of kit :-?
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

I keep removing the steering lock and forgetting to thingy my wotsits so the engine splutters after a few hundred yards. I aim to fit a thingamy to gently remind me/ deter the enthusiastic thief. I was keen to fit a tracking device, which is about £30 on Ebay, but noticed that wotsits were even less than £30!
John
Any better?
Last edited by John Naylor on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertie.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Don't some folk use a cheap hidden mobile phone as a cheap tracker alternative?
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

The trackers on Ebay are as cheap and could be hidden in the wheresits. With a basic SIM with no monthly charge they can be traced from a smart phone and do all sorts of tricks (even listening in to what the thieves are saying!). Bit pointless though if the thieves use a jammer(?).
Last edited by John Naylor on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertie.
warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

My Dad's Traveller had a secret fuel pump cut off. Simple but brilliant, and knowing where it was, we had great fun as kids making Dad think he'd run out of fuel!

PS Remember these forum posts can be read by anyone, not just members.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Which is why the fact that two of you have just told the thieves exactly what the 'secret switch' does is particularly stupid..... Hopefully you will modify your posts....
ImageImage
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well not exactly rocket science
and any way most classics are hitched onto a low loader, and the thieves dress as mechanics
what we have to do here is deter the chancers
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

bmcecosse wrote:Which is why the fact that two of you have just told the thieves exactly what the 'secret switch' does is particularly stupid..... Hopefully you will modify your posts....
Really don't think anything said gives too much away. Proper thieves know all this anyway. Best any of us can do is deter the casual tea leaf.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Ah but do they know about the curved knives that come out of the seat back if your DNA isn't match for the sensors on the steering wheel :o
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Suitably chastised posts now edited so whosit won't know his wotsits from his wheresits. (Probably need to be from Stoke-on-Trent to understand this).

Bertie.
moggalot
Minor Friendly

Post by moggalot »

bmcecosse wrote:Which is why the fact that two of you have just told the thieves exactly what the 'secret switch' does is particularly stupid..... Hopefully you will modify your posts....
The location of the switches is the critical thing, not what they do. I think most of our cars are at risk from joyriders who are basically thick and don't know how to start the cars anyway. One of our branch members had his 2 door minor broken into last weekend. They jemmied the door frame (breaking the glass) smashed into the passenger glove box trying to get to the back of the ignition switch, failed to hot wire it and gave up! There was no secret switch on his car, but they were clearly not in possession of the vital knowledge of (a) how to open the bonnet and (b) how to run a wire from the ****** to the ***** to start the engine). By the way, I have fitted a tracker in my Traveller. It is hidden in the ********* ***.

warb21
Minor Fan

Post by warb21 »

My Dad's doodah had a secret thing thingamy thing. Simple but brilliant, and knowing where it was, we had great fun as kids making Dad think he'd run out of wotsit!
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Get an etching kit and etch your windows, this wont stop break ins but helps deter the serious thief bent on cloning or breaking your car.
Cost around £25.00.
Ditto the disklok, and switches.
Where angels fear to tread
RobbieJE
Minor Friendly

Post by RobbieJE »

Does a large Disklok fit all types of Minor steering wheel?
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I had one fitted to my '71 traveller and have now changed the steering wheel to the earlier three spoke type, fits that one too.