Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Log Book anomaly

Post by busguy »

SteveClem wrote:I'm amazed by the knowledge that you chaps have,and your attention to detail, but in my view the most important thing is to find and drive a well sorted,kosher,car! These are pretty ancient machines now and I think we have to accept that their family trees might have got a bit confused...
It's the knowledge and attention to detail that goes a long way to identifying 'a baddie' with a curious history, amongst the kosher cars. The knowledge is freely given without casting any aspersions one way or the other. The more any minor owner knows about the tell tale signs of a dodgy car, the better. Chris (POMMreg) has toiled for years on his identification of change points on the cars, so can talk with some authority when giving an opinion or advice, as do a number of other people.
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard Leslie »

Excuse my ignorance Gentlemen but where do I find the Body Number?

The number 559414 is stamped into the engine bulkhead just to the left of the upper Data Plate. This number tallies with the
FCU number on the lower Data Plate .

I've had a close look at the six screws attaching the Data plates and they are all exactly the same.

The car is definitely an original build Convertible not a Saloon conversion.

I've now looked at the BMIHT Gaydon web site, thanks to "simmitc " and can fill in most of the required sections, so this might be my next course of action.

All your comments are appreciated.

R L
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

Odd place for the chassis stamp - do you mean left of the "patent" plate?

Personal observation...."patent" plate fixing screws look to be "green?" (no reason to be) and the "slots" of the screws fixing the vin plate are not clogged up....which would suggest....
Check wiper motor plinth/bkt - square, or with front corner "clipped"?

Body number should be at the top N/S of bulkhead.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard Leslie »

Year of build now sorted out by the BMIHT people at Gaydon. Car is definitely 1957 build and shipped to a dealer in Devon in December of that year. Now the issue of "where was it" between build in 57 and first UK registration in 64.

My thanks to POMMReg for all his help and suggestions.

Rick
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard Leslie »

More interesting facts found out about the car.

Thanks to "POMMReg" I contacted the Devon DVLA Office in Exeter and advised them of my problem. They informed me that the car was first registered with them in 1957 and they have a record of the original number ( XUO 354 ) being given to a Mrs Righold of Sidmouth. They have sent me copies of all they have relating to the Registration ( may have the ladies name spelt wrong as it's very hard to read the Printout) . The documents also shows that XUO was never allocated to cars in 1964.

I have copied in the Swansea DVLA office hoping they will review and revise their database, to show the correct D of M and D of R.

Rgds to all who helped in my query. RLA

[frame]Image[/frame]
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard Leslie »

[frame]Image[/frame]
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Good luck with that. In my experience DVLA are better at making mistakes than they are at putting things right.
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard Leslie »

Perseverance has finally paid off and the DVLA has agreed that the car was built and first registered in November 1957.

Thanks to all the members who came up with various suggestions and idea's to get the correct details on the Registration Certificate. Even the GOV.UK document has been revised.

All I have to do now is find out who owned the car from 1957 until 1964........................
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

Rick, did you try "Reynold" or "Reynolds"?

Couldn't find any " Righolds"...but loads of the above, the latter one anyway...

Hard work, but worth it IF you get a "hit"!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!