Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Hot starter motor

Post by kevin s »

A steel rawl bolt and slide hammer can work well.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

I would like to think it would work but have my doubts.
The spigot bearing in question is broken up leaving only the outer bearing race.
If a rag bolt is put inside the outer bearing race and expanded to grip the race it will push the wall of the race tighter against the inside of the crankshaft and the bearing is already a very tight fit inside the the crankshaft.

DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi All

Thanks Phil, seems like the perfect excuse to purchase a new tool - never had a decent Dremel!

Regards
David
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

David
Please let us know how you get on and with a couple of photos of the process if possible would be appreciated.
Good luck
Phil

DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi All

The Dremel worked a treat, managed to grind the outer race so it was so thin that a small push with a screw driver broke it and I could get it out.
I don’t think i even did any damage to the bearing seat either - but that said, there was plenty of damage from before.

Now I have a small question regarding pushing the new bearing in - the bearing is 19mm OD, the inner part where it should end up seems to be a little smaller, but the outer part of the crankshaft - the bearing has to pass through this - is just over 18mm in diameter - that seems too tight to me. Am I missing something or just being a bit soft?

Also, oil pump came out - has quite a nasty tight spot, so glad I god a new one - shame i got the slot drive and need the start drive one!

Regards
David
IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0146.jpeg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 7911 times
IMG_0147.jpeg
IMG_0147.jpeg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 7911 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well done :tu1:
The new roller spigot bush will fit into the end of the crankshaft - it is supposed to be tight.
The rear end of the spigot spigot bush/roller should be level with the rear face of the crankshaft counterbore.
Make sure that the seal end is towards the gearbox.
Put a smear of grease into the bearing before attaching the gearbox.
I would clean that green paint off the rear face of the block so that the rear face is clean and free of imperfections.
This is the star or spider drive oil pump you require:-
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search
It will fit all securing bolt combinations.
Make sure that you keep that star or spider drive adapter safe as they are hard to get hold of now.
You can get an adapter to fit a spade drive oil pump to a star or spider camshaft.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252314870396
I would suggest that as you have a Marina engine fitted a BL Marina workshop manual Pt No: AKM4580 would be helpful. The Marina factory workshop manual goes into far more detail than the Morris Minor workshop manual.
Good copies can be obtained from 'e' bay.
For example:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166430218162 ... R8ydtM34Yg

DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi Phil

Thanks, and I have that workshop manual in the post coming my way

“The new roller spigot bush will fit into the end of the crankshaft - it is supposed to be tight.
The rear end of the spigot spigot bush/roller should be level with the rear face of the crankshaft counterbore.
Make sure that the seal end is towards the gearbox”

I am having a bit of a problem with the bearing, it is too small and I destroyed it trying to tap it in to the end of the crankshaft with a socket
I wonder if I have bought the right one?
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/engin ... er-p830107

I also swear that the inner diameter of the end of the crankshaft is smaller than the diameter of where the bearing is supposed to sit. I can’t measure the inner one, but my finger and a straight edge suggest this. Is there a different bearing I should be using, or has someone done something strange with the end of the crankshaft?

I also wonder if the end diameter part of the crankshaft serves any purpose, and if I might enlarge slightly with my new Dremel?

Regards
David
IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0146.jpeg (336.06 KiB) Viewed 7844 times
DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi All

I forgot to ask, should the engine back plate be painted - engine green, or something else?

Regards
David
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The engine back plate should be left as plain metal both front and back faces. When the plate has been fitted to the block the front face can be painted except for the area of contact between starter and rear engine plate.
The bearing sits in the outer part of the crankshaft counterbore. If you try and knock it into the smaller counterbore the bearing will be damaged.
The BL Marina workshop manual has a sectioned drawing of how far it goes into the rear of the crankshaft.
Some of the 1275cc engines had a plain bush and some had a roller bearing.
The ESM roller bearing appears to be correct but here is a 'e' bay listing for a plain bush with dimensions for comparison.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283828839323 ... R-jW7aL6Yg
The bush is the same Pt No: 13H4653 for both 1275cc and 1800cc engines. I have checked the BL Marina parts list to confirm.
You could always fit a plain bush.
I would not do any additional grinding with the Dremel.

DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Thanks Phil

When I pulled the old one out it was in the inner part of the counterbore - that is likely why it was destroyed and could be due to the wrong back plate?
I will get another and maybe place on the gearbox shaft and use that to push it in, rather than trying to hammer it in before mounting the gear box.

Maybe I should have waited for the manuals to arrive!

Regards
David
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The small counterbore is there to accommodate the extreme front of the first motion shaft.
The first motion shaft continues past the roller bearing. The end of the first motion shaft is not supposed to finish within the bearing.
I am not surprised that the roller first motion shaft bearing was shattered when fitted by a previous owner.
The wrong rear engine plate did not help matters.
The new bearing should be pressed or knocked into the rear of the crankshaft. Use a piece of round bar with a slightly less o.d. dia than the o.d. of the roller bearing.
Put a straight edge across the bell housing and see how much the first motion shaft protrudes then compare that measurement with the rear of the bearing from the rear face of the engine plate. That will give a good idea of the fit of the first motion shaft into the rear of the crankshaft. Try the fitment of the new roller bearing onto the first motion shaft before fitting into the rear of the crankshaft.
These first motion shaft bearings can be trying at times. I had to have several goes when I first fitted the Ford 2000E gearbox way back to my Minor and eventually had to have a special spacer made to hold and support the roller bearing in the right place -see below - so I know how frustrating it can be - but you will get there in the end.
Midget rankshaft tail.jpg
Midget rankshaft tail.jpg (38.59 KiB) Viewed 7805 times

DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi All/Phil

My saga continues, or is it just my lack of understanding!

I have measured things up and am a little confused as to how the bearing goes in.
IMG_6869.jpeg
IMG_6869.jpeg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 7699 times
IMG_6871.jpeg
IMG_6871.jpeg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 7699 times
I hope the sketch is clear, it is approximately to scale.
I removed the old roller bearing from location 4.
The roller fits well on the end of the first motion shaft at location 1.
If I put the gearbox on the back plate - location 1 will align with location 4, and location 2 will align with location 3.
I don’t think I can push the bearing into the end of the crankshaft as the OD of the bearing is 19mm, and the ID of location 3 is 18mm, that is too much of an interference fit. The bearing is not

I guess my main question is if I should be using a bronze bush on location 3, mating with the first motion shaft at location 4, or if I am doing something else wrong!

Regards
David