Now I'm all for saving a few pounds but seriously?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Now I'm all for saving a few pounds but seriously?

Post by Boomlander »

Hi all,
Just finished fitting Willum's new parcel shelf and as I switched the inspection light on to get a better look in the footwell I discovered the front scuttle covers are not Blue Grey like the door cards but pale green! Likewise the rear arch covers are also the original green ones. The car was restored in 2010 by the Minor Millennium Company and I find it hard to believe that they would cut corners like this to save around £70.
Seems like you have to check every corner when buying. 😠

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Now I'm all for saving a few pounds but seriously?

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Was that the company that was based near Milton Keynes?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:21 am Hi,
Was that the company that was based near Milton Keynes?
Best wishes,
Mike.
I presume it's the one in Manchester https://morris-minor-millennium.weebly.com/index.html
Quite frankly, a business that uses a DIY website builder is not one that would fill me with confidence, especially one that seems to be using the 'free' pricing plan; why else has it got weebly.com in the address. :-?
Such websites are false economy and in my opinion really only useful to the person building a personal hobby site for their own interest, not for a business.
Basic website hosting with a proper website domain costs less than £100 a year, which says it all really.

Take a look at their premises on Goggle Earth....
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If the car was restored by a previous owner, then you don't know what was agreed between that owner and the company doing the restoration - perhaps the trim was removed and fitted by the owner? It's even possible that the correct colour trim was not available at the time - we do see stock shortages. That's not excusing poor workmanship, just pointing out that you can't always blame the company.

That said, I don't like the website. Black is never a good look, and on my monitor, the text in the black side bar is almost invisible and is unreadable until the mouse rolls over it. The top central photo appears to have been stretched, unless the two cars have been customised by widening the bodies and lowering the roofs to have low wide windscreens. Of course, if it's a choice of spending money on the website or on good quality tools and craftsmen, then the latter may well be preferable.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:37 am The top central photo appears to have been stretched, unless the two cars have been customised by widening the bodies and lowering the roofs to have low wide windscreens. Of course, if it's a choice of spending money on the website or on good quality tools and craftsmen, then the latter may well be preferable.
It's definitely stretched.
As we're a public forum, I'll not comment further, other than to say that as a chartered H&S practitioner, I think these Streetview images tell a story....
Workshop 1.JPG
Workshop 1.JPG (93.84 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
Workshup2.JPG
Workshup2.JPG (83.18 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
Workshop 3.JPG
Workshop 3.JPG (138.83 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

simmitc wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:37 am That said, I don't like the website. Black is never a good look, and on my monitor, the text in the black side bar is almost invisible and is unreadable until the mouse rolls over it.
Just to say, the sidebar is akin to british racing green on my monitor with, I guess, sage green text (which turns white on hover).
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

I know that we.re on a public platform etc and I've mentioned the said business before so for the benefit of highlighting purely for those folk that arn.t too well clued up on Minors and what to look out for when purchasing , I went to look at a "restored" traveller some years back, I spent a long time on the road to get to see it, I looked at it for less than five minutes [and that was out of respect] and promptly left minus the traveller ............ it was horrendous! And this isn't the only company that sell "restored " cars that are either poor quality or are seen for sale a few years later with the wording from the then purchaser and now seller, "requires some work".