Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Bmcecosse

Post by philthehill »

I was reminded of Bmcecosse yesterday.
I picked up a copy of Steam World No: 4 July 1981 and inside there was an article on the Bowness Railway which Bmcecosse was involved with and on which he drove the steam locomotives.
In the article there are several pictures and in one of them there are two minors (a split screen Ser 2 and a Minor 1000). Also there is a Triumph TR7. The photo is dated May 20th 1979. Bmcecosse owned a TR7 and Minors.
I wonder if one or more of the cars is his and if one of the people featured in the photo installing the initial security fence was him.
Phil

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Bmcecosse

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Phil,
If you can scan the picture and post it up on here, someone may recognise him and be able to say, one way or the other.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

Think his Traveller had a N'th Wales regn, "CC" etc.?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you bring up one of Roy’s old posts, his picture is in his signature, however it needs expanding and it’s not too clear.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Perhaps 'Admin' can access his profile / signature picture and enlarge it back to it's original size in this post.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I found this doing a search on here:
Roy-Allingham.jpg
Roy-Allingham.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
Best wishes,
Mike.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

jagnut66 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:55 pm I found this doing a search on here:
Roy-Allingham.jpg
Best wishes,
Mike.
“It’s never the coil!”
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

"it's never the coil" is burned into my mind too!

It's difficult to overstate how much of a resource he was, and strangely still is with the history of forum posts both here and on a mini forum, especially for complete newbies like myself going from not knowing what a spark plug was to doing full rebuilds.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

MMOC should give a "Bmcecosse Award" at the National's, "most helpful person" etc.?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Monty-4 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:18 pm and strangely still is with the history of forum posts
This is my worry about the flakiness of the forums, that some major crash will happen and we'll lose all such information.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

many years ago I challenged him to accept that a more appropriate phrase would be Its sometimes never the coil,but sometimes it is. He PM'd me saying , Yes Ok but its never the coil in Scotland :D :D :D Probably the greatest loss this forum ever had.
cyrus
Minor Friendly

Post by cyrus »

kennatt wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:37 am many years ago I challenged him to accept that a more appropriate phrase would be Its sometimes never the coil,but sometimes it is. He PM'd me saying , Yes Ok but its never the coil in Scotland :D :D :D Probably the greatest loss this forum ever had.
Roy was a truly great contributor and sadly missed, it's nice though that all his posts survive on here as they contain so much useful information and wisdom. I am constantly reminded of him when I'm messing about with the car, once when it was the coil, (the little rivet holding a spade terminal had come loose and needed to be peened over), and he has also modified my driving behaviour as I know he disliked the idea of people standing on the brake pedal at traffic lights. I religiously put the handbrake on now every time......
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

POMMReg wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:59 pm MMOC should give a "Bmcecosse Award" at the National's, "most helpful person" etc.?
:D What a lovely idea.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

As I suggested a few days ago, the winds of change are blowing through the hallowed halls of MMOC towers and I have another meeting with the powers that be this Saturday, after which I'll give an update here which may help lessen some of the fears being experienced about longevity of valuable content. In the meantime, I absolutely adore the idea of an award in BMC's honour, and should it transpire that I still have any remit in this group beyond that date then you can be assured I'll push for such a thing!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Admin wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:54 pm which may help lessen some of the fears being experienced about longevity of valuable content.
Yes, but we still need to get as far as Saturday - at least ! :P

If the award were a trophy, it should be a handcar :D (for all the information, I tend to remember the signature most).