For owners of Pandas and other ex-police minors
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
anthony2
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

police minor

Post by anthony2 »

I have a Morris Minor with a zip in the roof lining.My car is a 4 door, this unusal, as I have always understood they were all 2 door.Also there are seat belt fittings under the rear seat,did the police restrain the passengers?
philipkearney
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: police minor

Post by philipkearney »

I've never seen a four door panda before but each constabulary had different vehicles. I've seen traveller panda cars so a four door one is entirely possible.
anthony2
Minor Friendly

Post by anthony2 »

The roof has had the holes for the light box filled.I have recently purchased the car.It has been repainted,but under the bonnet it is the panda car blue colour.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Do you know which area or constabulary the car may have served in ? If you do, a bit internet searching, may throw up some photos.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Interestingly, this photo appeared the other day. The car is in a motor museum. Can't verify if the car is a genuine panda car or not, but no reason to doubt it.
IMG_5300.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I believe that there were a few four doors used by police. Send me a PM with the registration number and chassis number, and I'll see if it fits with any of our records.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

philipkearney wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:51 pm Interestingly, this photo appeared the other day. The car is in a motor museum. Can't verify if the car is a genuine panda car or not, but no reason to doubt it.
I've seen that image recently on facebook, there was a response that it was not an original and was a mock up by the museum.
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

anthony2 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:30 pm
Go on Wikipedia and check out the registration letters, that will give you a good clue as to which Force operated it if it were an original.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_r ... ed_Kingdom
Check the list of Pre-2001 Codes which are the 2nd and 3rd letters A**123A .
Many County Council Archives still have their pre-DVLA Vehicle records so might be able to confirm it it was issued to their Police Force.
If they don't you may be able to contact the relevant Constabulary, bearing it mind that they are very unlikely to have records especially if they have been amalgamated a couple of times since the 60s.
Basil the 1955 series II

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

[/quote]
I've seen that image recently on facebook, there was a response that it was not an original and was a mock up by the museum.
[/quote]

Thanks Berni, couldn't remember where I'd seen the photo. I knew it mentioned a museum but couldn't remember which one and so couldn't even check.
anthony2
Minor Friendly

Post by anthony2 »

Thank you for your help,I have found that it was a Glamorgan police car ,there is one on their web site,5 door and the same reg batch as my car.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

There's a guy on the facrebook Group who's had a Glamorgan 4dr for 39 years....
https://www.facebook.com/groups/morrism ... 011321887/
panda.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Basil the 1955 series II

anthony2
Minor Friendly

Post by anthony2 »

Thank you for that ,my one is obviously one of that batch,last number is 671.Is there an interest in restoring ex police cars to the original colour scheme?