Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pete Bags
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Which air filter for HIF38 carb?

Post by Pete Bags »

Hi all,

I've currently got an air filter which I believe was originally from an A60 car, fitted to my HIF38 carb which is on a 1098 engine. From the attached picture, you can see how the current air filter housing has had a 'corner' cut in order for it to fit when the bonnet is shut - although it does still seem to just foul the bonnet when it is shut.

As such, I am thinking of replacing the current air filter/housing with another - perhaps a pancake or a cone - or is there another housing that anyone can recommend? Any pros or cons, and do I need to adjust the carb in any way (jet etc) if I fit a new type of air filter?

Many thanks for your help!

Pete

IMG_2915.JPG
IMG_2915.JPG (204 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Which air filter for HIF38 carb?

Post by philthehill »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115535023774 ... R-yqpJrxYA

Use the search facility for fitting details.

panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

I'm pretty sure that air box will foul on the fuel pump and maybe the battery.
I used a standard Mini air box but cut the inlet tract off and drilled a couple more holes on the outside to allow a bit more air in. You will also need a matching elbow to fit the filter

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

panky
I think you may be right. :tu1:
Phil

Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

Thanks both for your suggestions!

Panky, am I right in thinking you fitted the Mini air box as below, and cut off the inlet shown by the pink arrow? Did you blank this hole off, or keep the hole and added the extra two holes as in your photo? This air box also has a spigot (yellow arrow) and I am guessing I can just leave this alone, or perhaps not all the Mini air boxes come with this?

I can see that I will need the 90 degree elbow as well.

airfilter.jpg
airfilter.jpg (37.69 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Yes that's the one. I left the hole open where I cut the inlet off, you don't really need the extra holes but as I'd fitted a K&N element I thought the extra air flow would be beneficial. This set up has been proven by Keith Calver to be more efficient than a K&N cone and it's a lot quieter too - as long as you don't drill too many holes ( I did and ended up blocking some off again :roll:)
The extra spigot is, I suspect, for the engine breather connection on the original car and I don't see any reason to block it up as it's on the outside of the filter element.
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

I had a Marina one on mine and it was brilliant!
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

I'd saved an old post on this subject:

viewtopic.php?t=31415

Haven't got round to fitting the Hif38 yet but have the mini filter housing saved for that day. I did think the Triumph one looked more like the original Morris version.
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

I've just won an ebay bid for the Mini air box, complete with 90 degree elbow - looking forward to them arriving!

@ Panky - I'll need to buy the filter element to go in, and see you have fitted a K&N element. Out of curiosity, what was the reason for fitting the K&N rather than the 'standard' paper one? Extra power? And which K&N filter did you go for? Did you have to change any settings on the HIF38 when fitting the K&N?

Many thanks!

Pete
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Yes I did fit a K&N element, I borrowed it out of my Mini Cooper when it was off the road for resto. Now the Mini is back up and running I've fitted an ordinary paper element in the Minor until I find a reasonably priced K&N (they are around £50 new). They are a performance add on and with some decent engine mods the make a difference of a few BHP. They allow a better air flow so a tweak on the mixture screw, or in a perfect world, a different needle profile and rolling road session, to get the mixture right.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185427150492 ... R5rYjLP0YA

The Mini air filter looks like it has a bigger surface area the the original Minor item so on a standard engine I think the paper one would be fine.
Pete Bags
Minor Fan

Post by Pete Bags »

Thanks Panky!